loading a .vhd image

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
whallee99
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win server 03

loading a .vhd image

Post by whallee99 »

I have been having a hard time loading a .vhd image that I use on Virtualpc at school. I took the .vhd file home and tried to load it with virtualbox. When I try, I get a message "Parent hard disk with UUID {xxx} of the hard disk {path of vhd file} is not found in the media registry ({path to virtualbox.xml}\VirtualBox.xml). Anyone have any suggestions on loading this image without having to get more files from the school computers? We are on break for a couple weeks, and I want to work on stuff in the mean time.
MarkCranness
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2008 R2; Ubuntu 11.04; Windows 2000 Server; Windows XP

Re: loading a .vhd image

Post by MarkCranness »

Sounds like you have copied the differencing disk for a virtual hard disk but not the associated base image.

For example, Windows XP Mode (on Windows 7) by default creates a differencing disk when you create a new VM based on the Windows XP Mode VHD that you download. See: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... S.10).aspx

IF you have Windows 7, and it was a Windows XP Mode VHD you have now, you might try downloading Windows XP Mode from MS and registering the base VHD, which might do something useful, otherwise you are stuck with getting more files from the school computers.

You will have activation problems running the Virtual PC VHD anyway, so probably best to run it with Virtual PC directly.