Mouse and keyboard lag

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Gesthal
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.10 (64-bit)

Re: Mouse and keyboard lag

Post by Gesthal »

I appear to have a similar (or same?) problem. The host is a 64 bit Windows 7, the guest a 64 bit Ubuntu 9.10. I have 8 gb of ram, and gave ubuntu 1 gb. I have a core i7 860 cpu with VT, but this mouse & keybord lag occurs no matter how many CPUs I set in guest settings, but feels like a bit less with only one.

Here is the machine configuration http://pastebin.com/f49aea2f8
moo
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: WinXP Win7 Linux

Post by moo »

Keskidi wrote:So I decided to test additions, by installing modules one by one
The problem appear after the restart of :
sh /media/cdrom0/VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run drm-module
No problem with the others.
Another work around I found is to turn off the "Display > Enable 3D Acceleration" setting for the guest (Ubuntu 9.10). When disabled, the mouse and keyboard lag problem no longer manifests.
Gesthal
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.10 (64-bit)

Post by Gesthal »

moo wrote: Another work around I found is to turn off the "Display > Enable 3D Acceleration" setting for the guest (Ubuntu 9.10). When disabled, the mouse and keyboard lag problem no longer manifests.
Thank you, that worked. While I'm completely new to running virtual machines, it still doesn't quite feel as fast and smooth as I'd expect. But maybe I'm expecting too much?
Keskidi
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.10

Post by Keskidi »

Hi,

That's right, the DRM Ubuntu VM is working fine when the 3D acceleration checkbox is disabled for me too.
But, is it good to disable it with DRM-module ?
I mean, if the DRM-module purpose is to enhance the 3D acceleration functionnality, installing this module and disabling the 3D acceleration for the machine seems to be stupid, isn't it ?
I tested my OpenGL capabilities without any problem on XP, and upgraded my drivers, It doesn't change anything to the way the VM is running with DRM and 3D.
moo
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: WinXP Win7 Linux

Post by moo »

The lag problem seems to be resolved (for my installation, at least) with the recently released VirtualBox 3.1.0 with latest guest additions installed. 3D acceleration seems to work.
lukeab
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
Guest OSses: Vista Business, Ubuntu 8.10, Ubuntu 9.04, Fedora 11, Debian, Arch Linux, Puppy Linux

Post by lukeab »

3.1? ahh, on the site, wasn't coming up with help -> check for updates, and not packaged in ubuntu yet.... grabbing it now though, thanks ;) will report if it fixes my problems.