Memory leak when using 3D acceleration

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MMMartin
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.04, Win XP SP3

Memory leak when using 3D acceleration

Post by MMMartin »

I am running Win XP SP3 32bit guest in VirtualBox 3.0.12 on Vista 32bit host with guest additions installed (in safe mode) and 3D acceleration enabled. When I try to run MS Visual Studio 2010 beta on the guest, I get the following problem.
After starting VS, logo appears and then the main window opens however its contents are not drawn. What happens instead is that memory usage of the VirtualBox.exe process on the host starts increasing up to over 400MB when it crashes with a Runtime error "...VirtualBox.exe This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way."

Log file is full of
00:04:04.409 OpenGL Error: SetPixelFormat failed (Error 0xc007001f)
00:04:04.411 OpenGL Error: Render SPU: (MakeCurrent) failed to make 0x50011429, 0x10001 current with 0x6 error.
and ends with
00:04:04.447 OpenGL Error: Out of memory trying to allocate 229376 bytes!

When Visual Studio window is closed before the crash, memory usage ceases to rise but the extra memory used is not freed.
When 3D acceleration is disabled, VS works fine without VB eating too much memory or crashing.

If this is of some importance, I run Intel GMA X3100, VBox recognizes it as
00:00:01.386 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VENDOR: Intel
00:00:01.386 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_RENDERER: Intel 965/963 Graphics Media Accelerator
00:00:01.386 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VERSION: 1.5.0 - Build 7.14.10.1329
00:00:01.386 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture3D GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1 GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_WIN_swap_hint