No sound in Windows 7

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Technologov
Volunteer

Re: No sound in Windows 7

Post by Technologov »

People: I need your help here to discuss the bug. please see:
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/5332

What do you recommend ?

UPDATE: Due to huge number of requests I decided to post a solution for all users of Windows Vista and 7:
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... 18&start=0

-Technologov
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

I think MS needs to work on that, or VB provide a third audio adapter that works natively on W7. Maybe they need to add the HD Audio (Intel HDA) as option.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Similar problem in Vista x64. Bug #2785

Similar to topic:
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=12316
--------------------------------
by mehtuus:

SOLVED: For error "No Audio Device Installed". After some time of searching the net, I was finally able to get sound working in my virtual Vista Ultimate x64 install. All that I had to do was install a driver for the VirtualBox virtual soundcard hardware. No reboot was necessary.

1. I went to http://www.realtek.com.tw

2. I clicked on "Downloads", then on "AC'97 Audio Codecs". On the downloads page I downloaded the file with the description "Vista/Win7 (32/64 bits) Driver only (ZIP file)".

3. Once downloaded, I extracted the files and pointed the Device Manager driver installer to the "6303_Vista_Win7_PG537\6303_Vista_PG537\Vista64" folder. It found the driver and proceeded with installation. Once it was done the Device Manager refreshed itself and showed the sound card as installed and working.

I loaded up some sounds and everything was working excellent and sounded great too.
--------------------------------

UPDATE: Due to huge number of requests I decided to post a solution for all users of Windows Vista and 7:

-Technologov
rkehlor
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win 7 64-bit

Post by rkehlor »

Hm, not sure why I'm seeing something totally different.

I go to realtek's website and I get 6505 files, not 6503, when searching for the AC'97 Vista/Win7 64-bit drivers in the zip file.

Once saved & expanded, I can't point the device manager to the folder without it getting stuck in a loop at the "browse..." dialog -- I go into the Vista64 folder, it sees the .inf files, I say OK and I go back to the "select the device" dialog with the "browse" button again.

The only way I could manually pick drivers was to go under "install legacy hardware" in the Device Manager... and from there, I selected "install audio/sound drivers" and then "have disk..." -- RealTek didn't show up in the list of manufacturers.

Anything different than what you're doing?

Thanks in advance!
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

So, from the device manager you can't tell it to update the driver, select the second option (manual), then pick the driver yourself, search other locations, untick the options there except for the 'provide location' and browse for the inf file/folder and install that?
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.

rkehlor

Post by rkehlor »

Hi -- No, the device manager doesn't see an audio card at all. The system tray also indicates "no audio card present". So, from the device manager, all I can do is say "install legacy driver/hardware" from the menubar and browse to the directory with the drivers... There, I can select the .inf but it dumps me back to the same dialog saying to select the hardware from the list or browse for the driver, but the list is empty.

Win 7 / 64-bit doesn't seem to recognize the virtual sound card at all, even when I explicitly select the realtek driver for it.

I'm no beginner (though not as advanced on the windows side of things as the group here, hopefully!), and I'm stymied. Even looked around in the .inf to see if there was something to tweak. No luck.

==============

So, from the device manager you can't tell it to update the driver, select the second option (manual), then pick the driver yourself, search other locations, untick the options there except for the 'provide location' and browse for the inf file/folder and install that?
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

If W7 doesn't even show a device in the device manager, you obviously haven't enabled audio at all.

rkehlor

Post by rkehlor »

"obviously"? Why the attitude?

I did in fact have audio enabled, and set to use AC'97 (not SoundBlaster, though I'd tried that too). My audio worked in the Win7RC, just not after I installed the 64bit final version.

But, the good news is that VB 3.0.12 has fixed the issue for me; the first time I launched Windows after updating, it saw the sound card and installed the driver on its own.

I also have Aero effects now -- didn't let me use them, before (and I didn't change any settings...)

Macbook Pro 13" 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

You can't have Aero effect, because VBox don't supports it.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

The problem not solved. The realtek website is dog slow (2 KBps)... so can't download drivers...

I got another link, but the drivers are broken, and didn't work.
eneuby
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by eneuby »

I am running Apple Mac OSX Snow Leopard and virtual box 3.1.0. I installed Windows 7 x64 and had the same problem. Windows said it could not locate an audio device. I installed the Realtek AC'97 Drivers inside of Windows 7 and the sound now works flawlessly! Great fix!!!!
douglasawh
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: Win7

Post by douglasawh »

This is also a problem with a Fedora host.I've tried both SoundBlaster and AC 97. There are a couple of threads on this about Fedora already. Does anyone know why installing the driver works for some and not others? I've tried all three Linux soundsystems (OSS, ALSA and Pulse). I'm assuming it's the actual sound card that's the problem at this point.

My lspci output is
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

VirtualBox 3.1.2.
Melloware
Guest OSses: Windows 7 (x64)

Post by Melloware »

This post should be a sticky on the forum. I got bit by this too. I downloaded the wrong device driver from Realtek first until I realized I needed the OTHER download.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
MonkeyTunes - DACP Server for MediaMonkey
Intelliremote - Take Back Control of your HTPC!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

-Technologov
Skybear
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by Skybear »

Please excuse a newbie. I am getting the message "No Audio Output Device is Installed." Yes, I know this question has been asked before. I've read through the posts. The reply is to go to Realtek and down load the driver. I've been to that web page. And I've searched for audio drivers. But I'm getting really lost and frustrated. Please, what is the name and location of the correct driver? I've been pulling out my hair trying to find it. I'm running Snow Leopard for Mac. (OS X 6.4). Can someone please save what is left of my nerves and provide me with a link for the specific driver I should install? I haven't used Windows for years and what is naturally obvious to a Windows user is lost on me. Where exactly is the driver I should download. I'm sorry for being so dense, but this is like traveling to a foreign country when you don't know the language and haven't got a dictionary. I would greatly appreciate any help!