VirtualBox 2.2.4 Hangs After Guest Shutdown

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
HipHoppity
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WinXP SP3

VirtualBox 2.2.4 Hangs After Guest Shutdown

Post by HipHoppity »

Running VirtualBox 2.2.4 with Guest Additions Installed
Host = Mac OSX (v. 10.5.7)
Guest = Win XP SP3

I'm having an intermittent problem with VirtualBox 2.2.4 hanging after shutdown of my guest VM. The guest VM seems to shutdown OK and then VBox hangs.

This hang requires a force quit of VirtualBox 2.2.4. After the force quit of VBox I cannot get it started again without restarting my Mac. I didn't locate any similar reports in a search of the forum. I wanted to see if others here are having this sort of problem and any advice on fixing it is most welcome.

Other Observations:

1. Seems to happen only after guest has been running for quite a while. For example, I got this hang yesterday after running VBox for about 10 hours.
2. This started after several weeks of use of VBox 2.2.4.
3. Doesn't seem to be related to the use of any particular software on Host or Guest.
4. Screen shot of VBox window attached which shows what I see when VirtualBox hangs. Note that it shows as "Running" during the hang.
VBox 2.2.4 Window During Hang
VBox 2.2.4 Window During Hang
VBox Window During Hang.jpg (99.73 KiB) Viewed 13796 times
5. Here's what the bottom of the VBox log shows:

00:09:53.904 ************** End of Guest state at power off ***************
00:09:53.904 Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'OFF'.
00:09:53.910 Console::powerDown(): A request to power off the VM has been issued (mMachineState=8, InUninit=0)
00:09:54.093 SharedFolders host service: disconnected, u32ClientID = 1
00:09:54.095 Changing the VM state from 'OFF' to 'DESTROYING'.
00:09:54.197 ************************* Statistics *************************

. . .

00:09:54.224 ********************* End of statistics **********************
00:09:54.314 Changing the VM state from 'DESTROYING' to 'TERMINATED'.
HipHoppity
rpmurray
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Re: VirtualBox 2.2.4 Hangs After Guest Shutdown

Post by rpmurray »

This is just a suggestion, but you might try disabling VT-x/AMD-V and see if the problem still occurs.

I have a Mac Pro (early 2008) with two quad cores, which should work with VT-x, but for some reason my guest seems more stable if I turn it off. I haven't had time yet to run enough tests to see if it's a bug, or just coincidence on my computer.

It won't hurt to try.

What Mac model are you running VB on?
HipHoppity

Post by HipHoppity »

Hi Rpmurray -- thanks for your suggestion. I will give it a try, as you say it couldn't hurt!

The Host that I'm having difficulty with is an iMac with 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 2 GB RAM (one of the last white plastic models). The Host I'm not having trouble with is a newer iMac with 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 2 GB RAM. Both machines are running Leopard 10.5.7 and both installs have 1 GB RAM dedicated to the guest WinXP SP3 VM.
HipHoppity
HipHoppity

Post by HipHoppity »

I've continued to experiment with this problem (since build 2.2.4) with each of the VBox versions up through the current 3.0.4 and have found that I don't get the VirtualBox hang after Win XP Guest shutdown when "VT-x/AMD-v" acceleration is disabled (thanks for this suggestion Rpmurray!). Here are my observations to date:

1. An intermittent problem that seems to happen only after WinXP SP3 guest has been running for quite a while (multiple hour or days long sessions).
2. This started after several weeks of use of VBox 2.2.4.
3. Doesn't seem to be related to the use of any particular software on Host or Guest.
4. This hang requires force quit of VirtualBox and restart of Mac to get VBox running again.
5. Occurs when VT-x acceleration is enabled for WinXP Guest on an iMac Host with 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo & 2 GB RAM but NOT on an iMac Host with 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB RAM (this Host has never shown this problem).

I found some other reports of similar problems in Bugtracker Ticket #4593 (http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/4593) for users with Windows Hosts. For now this a forum update for others that might be seeing a similar problem. Any advice with fixing it is welcome.
HipHoppity
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I have found that instead of closing the XP guest by using the start -> shutdown (where it will hang 80%+ of the time) all I need to do is click machine and then ACPI shutdown of the guest window it will close cleanly every time. I have never been able to figure out why this is and mine is on a Windows host (Vista SB) 32 bit system. By the way I have had this problem on Window 2008 data server guest as well, but not as bad.
HipHoppity

Post by HipHoppity »

Thanks for the advice Perryg, I appreciate your insights on this. I'll give it a try.

Perhaps this bug will be addressed in an upcoming VBox build. . .
HipHoppity
ubertone
Guest OSses: RHES 5

Post by ubertone »

I am having a similar issue but with 3.0.10 on OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard.) I was running VB with RHES 5 as the guest and it worked fine for several hours with reboots. At the end of the day, I shut down the guest but left VB up and it hung. Did force quit and now it won't start. I think I'll probably have to reboot the machine, but there is clearly a bug here and it appears to be related more to the Mac version than the guest system.

Any more thoughts on this?
HipHoppity

Post by HipHoppity »

Hi Ubertone,

I suspect you are correct that you will have to restart your Host. Do you have "VT-x/AMD-V" acceleration enabled in the Guest?

I'm running Mac OSX 10.5.8 Hosts and VirtualBox 3.0.10 with Win XP SP3 Guests. Since updating from VBox 3.0.8 to version 3.0.10 about a week ago I've not had one of these crashes. But is still early going with the new VBox version . . .

You might also want to check out some additional feedback on this problem and submit logs & crash reports in the Bugtracker to Ticket #4593 thru this link => http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/4593

Another thing you might want to do is check ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ or /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ and search for files with VirtualBoxVM or VBoxSVC in the name. I think it would be worthwhile to post these in the bugtracker with your VBox log files that coincide with your Hangs.

As ChipMcK has also indicated in his recent posts (http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23829) this might well be a Snow Leopard 10.6.1 problem.

On a side-note, I took some particular interest in this AppleInsider post that indicates the Mac OSX 10.6.2 beta is addressing (among other items) issues for VMWare Fusion 3.0. Check out => http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09 ... le_tv.html
HipHoppity
HipHoppity

Post by HipHoppity »

Hi Ubertone,

An update on my earlier reply. I got my first VBox Hang with version 3.0.10 yesterday. So, I'll be testing a bit more with "VT-x/AMD-V" acceleration disabled.
HipHoppity
drdangavi
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: win xp home basic

Post by drdangavi »

i had virtual box 3.1.6 installed on windows 7 ,64 bits home basic host on inspiron 1464 dell laptop.guest os is windowds xp home basic with xp sp3 service pack installed
i had seen number of times since last 15 days i am using virtual box,that the guest os xp hangs at shutdown.it seems that windows is shutting down needs time for
many processes to close down.but when in machine tab of virtual box close tab is clicked it shuts immediately showing sending power off signal when i oks it.then i have to restart
vmbox and start the guest again.apart from this there is no problem in starting and running guest os in fullscreen mode.i do not know how to deal with it.
i think i have to invest time on web to clear this matter.any help or idea from any one having similar difficulty.
dr.avinash.