how to increase virtualbox image size?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Cool Surfer

how to increase virtualbox image size?

Post by Cool Surfer »

I used virtual box and make a winxp partition of 2gb.

Installed winxp with sp2 successfully.

Now I want to increase size of that virtual partition as i want to install office xp and some other softwares that might take ~5gb more of space.

How can I do that pl.

Secondly

I want to copy the partition and keep a copy of it safe. So that when the beta softwares expire, i just delete the partition, and copy back a partition from saved image.

Thanks
Cool Surfer

Post by Cool Surfer »

do I actually need a bigger partiton or will the existing one expand when need be?
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

You can backup the VDI and restore it if needed. But you can also use snapshots.

If you created a dynamic expanding virtual disk with a size of 2GB it will expand to max. 2GB. So you need a bigger VDI. How to manage it, look here:
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=1966
Cool Surfer

Post by Cool Surfer »

Thanks for the tip mate. So if I take a snap shot before installing a beta software, and then i install beta software, which expires after 10days, then in that case I can use the snapshot taken before installation of betaware?

it is something like windows xp system restore?
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

Cool Surfer wrote:it is something like windows xp system restore?
No.

Take snapshot 1.
Install beta software.
Take snapshot 2.
Use beta software.
Revert to Current Snapshot (snapshot 2): Go back to point (date) of beta software installation.
Discard Current Snapshot and State (snapshot 2): Go back to point (date) of beta software installation.
Revert to Current Snapshot (snapshot 1): Go back to point of program without beta software.
Discard Current Snapshot and State (snapshot 1): Original installation without any changes.
jesphoto

hd space

Post by jesphoto »

I have that sytuation.To my understanding - the dynamic would expand beyond the 2G.
That was not correct.Reading the other post - it will be most simple to just wipe the one I set and reinstall, but will setting to 10G.