Trouble Installing Solaris 10 on VB 1.5.2

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
wachmcolit87

Trouble Installing Solaris 10 on VB 1.5.2

Post by wachmcolit87 »

I'm trying to install Solaris 10 from an iso file onto VB 1.5.2. After allocating 512 MB I was able to make it to the Copyright information screen, at which point I got an error message. At the suggestion of past posts I upped to 824 MB (a random number larger than 768) and nothing has improved. I'd include code from the log file but it's long adn I don't know what's relevant. Does anyone have any suggestions?
paolino

Post by paolino »

Does ticket #621 answer your question? In particular comment 12, http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/621#comment:12
S.SubZero
Volunteer

Post by S.SubZero »

Solaris 10 (8/07) on VB 1.5.0 yay

I got it to install on 1.5.0 (Vista x64 host), but it's rough. I've done the install twice now, and each time it took 4-5 tried to get it to successfully run through to completion. It would bomb out trying to do random things, usually right at the part where it tries to set up the hard disk partitions.

Completed installs are stable but have quirks.. With the default NAT the network seems to work but Update Manager keeps timing out. I also had some odd network slowness that I had no explanation for, and even though Mozilla was taking forever to load pages I ran a speed test and got normal speeds. I tried a Host Interface Network setup with a bridge but Solaris ignores the network entirely, can't see my DHCP server and even setting a static IP does nothing.

At my best I managed to get most of the updates installed, 1400x1050 resolution, sound enabled, and it was stable and ran fine. I had to re-do it though because Sun's awesome auto-sizer made the partition that holds the updates too small.

I used a 512MB VM, 11GB hard disk, VT-x on, sound enabled, NAT network, no Serial or USB. I'm a total Solaris noob so I don't know too much about the options it has, but I went with the full package install.
pedlo

Post by pedlo »

I made it with the following configuration:
Win2000 as host, 512MB RAM, 15gb dyn. exp. HD; the key for my system was NO ACPI.
I installed Solaris Express Edition, kernel 5.11 build 70.
Actually I'm not using network since I'm interested only in learning Solaris basics.
I tried building the latest SVN trunk, but I couldn't satisfy all the "dependencies" in my building environment; however, it should be an alternative solution.
pedlo
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

pedlo: Alternative solution is to wait for next version to be out.
pedlo

Post by pedlo »

sure :wink: but it looks like next VBox release will be in weeks, maybe months, while the needed patch should already be available through SVN.
So, if somebody is more lucky than me, he will be able to compile VBox and run Solaris smoothly.
Any news about next VBox release?
I'm missing Solaris guest additions too, (well in the manual is written "ask Innotek".)
EdCates

Got it working too

Post by EdCates »

I also got Solaris 10 working in VirtualBox, v1.5.2. Specs are:
  • Kubuntu 7.10 amd64 host
    512 MB RAM for installation (seemed crucial), currently running with 1 GB
    8 GB HD (already needs expanding)
    Network enabled (NAT)
    ACPI disabled during install, currently enabled
    Sound enabled
I tried getting the boot process going with 1 GB of RAM, then 712 MB, but they always failed. 512 finally worked after a few tries.

The system doesn't boot consistently --well, I think it is actually consistently booting on the third try every time-- but once it finally loads it seems solid. All in all, I'd give it a ranking of "Usable, but moderately annoying." :)
wiedc

Post by wiedc »

I had the same Problem. I checked out Virtualbox from svn compiled and I managed to install Solaris 10 8/07 without problems.

I'm Using Kubuntu 7.04

The VM has 400mb ram and 8 GB HD and "Hostinterface" networking