VirtualBox Setup ended prematurely - Error 1603

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
christiang
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP, Knoppix, DOS

VirtualBox Setup ended prematurely - Error 1603

Post by christiang »

Hi,

after upgrading to Windows 7 (Ultimate 32-bit) I would like to re-install VirtualBox (history: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22434).

The installer (VirtualBox-3.0.6-52128-Win, started as administrator) ends with "Rolling back action" and the result "Sun VirtualBox Setup Wizard ended prematurely". I also get a message box telling me
VirtualBox Installer
Installation of MSI failed!
ERROR: 1603
In the meantime I deleted the program directory, everything with *vbox*.* and *virtualbox*.* under \Windows and below. And I also removed everything in the registry that has to do with *vbox* and *virtualbox*.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
christiang

Re: VirtualBox Setup ended prematurely - Error 1603

Post by christiang »

Thanks for the hint. I checked severeal possible reasons but had no luck so far ...

In the MSI installer log the following lines seem to show the root cause:
Installing NetFlt
VBoxNetCfgWinQueryINetCfg: Initialize failed, hr (0x80070057)

doNetCfgInit: VBoxNetCfgWinQueryINetCfg failed, hr (0x80070057)
converting hresult (0x80070057) to ERROR_GEN_FAILURE
InstallNetFlt: doNetCfgInit failed, r (0x1f)
After this entries the rollback starts.
hash
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by hash »

Hi,
I had the same problem on my XP. I googled it and found out that it was the same with version 2.2.2
I've deleted VB files from 'Program files' folder and register entries as well, downloaded v2.1.4 (stable) and installed it. After this the installation of v3.0.6 goes flawleslly. Hope it'll work for you.

Cheers!
tuaamin13
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by tuaamin13 »

I was actually having this same problem (Win 7 Pro x64 RTM). No matter what I did, like closing out all programs, it seemed to crash on installation.

I then remembered troubleshooting tip #1 for Windows -- Reboot your box if you're having issues. I rebooted and started up the VB installer as soon as it came up and everything worked fine. I think the justification for that is that some program had a lock on Program Files and wasn't allowing another Setup.exe to access that directory since it had a hold on it. Rebooting killed that process.

Hope that helps.
christiang

Post by christiang »

Thanks for the tipps ... I tried that but it seem to be a different problem. I goggled the log entry "VBoxNetCfgWinQueryINetCfg" and found the source code for this routine (http://www.virtualbox.org/svn/vbox/trun ... Config.cpp).

Somehow VB seem to have problems accessing the Network configuration in my Win7 installation ...
King Crimson
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by King Crimson »

The .msi package of VirtualBox (that is inside the .exe-file) includes two outdated .dll files that prevent its installation on Windows 7 x64. Here is a link to a step-by-step solution: http://www.sharepoint-stuff.com/?p=404

I've just tested it and it works flawlessly.
DrMac
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Windows 7 Ultimate RC

Post by DrMac »

My story regarding others posts about this error is as follows. Running on MSWXPProSP3 and have just upgraded from 3.0.6 to 3.0.8 of SVB. The first time installing from the download the install somehow hung and never finished after 5 plus hours, so I force quit the installation. I restarted the computer and retried the installation specifying the drive where VB is previously installed. At the very end of the installation after clicking on FINISH, I received the message: "Installation of MSI failed Error: 1603". Clicked OK and quit out of SVB. Checked for this error on the Internet and got a bunch of results as to what might cause this. Quit out of open applications and shut the computer down. This morning restarted the computer, relaunched the SVB 3.0.8 installer and repaired the installation and at the successful completion got the message: "Installation of MSI failed Error: 1641". I do not know what to make of this. Any suggestions? I have not tried running the Guest OS (MSW7 RC) as of yet. :cry:
King Crimson

Post by King Crimson »

I don't know about XP, but on Windows 7 x64 the situation with 3.0.8 is exactly the same as with 3.0.6 - for reasons known probably to Sun only the two .dll-files still haven't been updated, even though the W7 RTM has been available for ages! After replacing the two files in 3.0.8, the installation runs smoothly to the end without that MSI error.
renatoso

Post by renatoso »

Try to disable this local settings if other solution don't work:

gpedit.msc

Turn Off Program Compatibility Assistant: Disable

Turn Off Program Compatibility Engine: Disable

bye
renato
Var
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Gentoo, Fedora,Windows 7

Post by Var »

Via a Vista host, this solution worked perfectly for me, and no need to edit anything:

http://www.formortals.com/virtualbox-er ... si-failed/

All credit to the author of the piece, for saving me from no end of time-wasting...

Following this, the 3.0.8 VBox installed flawlessly!
burnchar

Post by burnchar »

Var wrote:Via a Vista host, this solution worked perfectly for me, and no need to edit anything:

All credit to the author of the piece, for saving me from no end of time-wasting...

If anyone finds the linked article useful, post something about it in the comments section of the article. That will encourage more posts which may save time for VirtualBox users.

(The blog has no annoying ads as of this writing, so helping VB users is the main reason for the existence of the article)
King Crimson

Post by King Crimson »

Var wrote:Via a Vista host, this solution worked perfectly for me, and no need to edit anything:

I'm glad that that method has worked for you. Mind you, however, that I tried to install VB on a freshly set-up system and the setup was still ending prematurely - there was no earlier VB installation present and hence there were no old drivers to remove...

Since the article I posted the link to is quite lengthy, here are some consise instructions:

1. start setup, copy the extracted installation files from C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Temp\VirtualBox to another location, cancel setup
2. open the .msi file in the Microsoft Orca Editor
3. highlight Tables -> Binary
4. highlight DIFxApp.dll -> Drop row
5. highlight DIFxAppA.dll -> Drop row
6. right-click -> Add row -> Name: DIFxApp.dll, Browse for the updated file you downloaded from Microsoft
7. right-click -> Add row -> Name: DIFxAppA.dll, Browse for the updated file you downloaded from Microsoft
8. File -> Save (don't use Save As...)
jperlow
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows XP

Post by jperlow »

So it appears this 1603 bug that corrupts your previous install has reared its ugly head again with 3.10 on Windows 7 64-bit.

Tried the ORCA MSI DLL fix, still wont install, back to rollback hell. I really wish Sun would QA these releases properly.
jperlow
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows XP

Post by jperlow »

It appears the only way you can fix this is to go into regedit, do a search on "virtualbox" and delete every instance of every registry hive that contains it. You'll still get a 1603 after you install but virtualbox will run.