Windows XP Guest BSOD

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
AgentDrex
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP

Windows XP Guest BSOD

Post by AgentDrex »

So, I've installed Windows XP successfully as a guest OS using the newest version of Virtualbox. The host machine is running Windows XP as well. Here's what I was initially attempting to do. The vdi I created for the guest XP installation is placed on a drive inside of a shared directory. I installed Virtualbox on a different machine in my lab that is running Vista Ultimate and pointed that to use the shared vdi I created on the XP machine. I had the XP host running the XP guest and at the same time was using the Vista host to run that same XP guest. Everything was working fine with both machines until I was making some basic changes to the XP guest using the XP host. Changes like performance options (turning off fades and what-not). Nothing drastic. Then the guest OS went into everyone's favorite, a BSOD Image , for a bigger version of that screenshot, here you go, http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... 4675_n.jpg. My question is this; Is what I'm attempting to do correct in any way? By which I mean, is it proper to be using the same vdi on a shared drive for use by multiple computers in my lab? I run a lab that helps people looking for employment learn basic computer skills. One of these skills is keyboarding and I would like a way for them to practice (and keep progress) from any computer in the lab. At the time I am writing this, they are restricted to one computer, the computer they started keyboard training with. If someone else is on that particular computer, then someone is going to have to wait. When there is more than one computer to use, I think this is silly. I was sure virtualbox was going to be my solution, but alas, this latest problem with the BSOD is driving me bananas. I hope that someone is willing to help a guy out with some answers. Maybe what I am attempting isn't right. I don't know how else I could really pull it off without having a server and doing some sort of roaming profile. Thanks for all the help in advance.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: Windows XP Guest BSOD

Post by Sasquatch »

Your VM is officially screwed, that's for sure. An error like that is hard to recover.

It would be better to dedicate one machine to run the VM and enable VRDP for it so users can RDP to the VM itself as if they start the VM, but it's always running.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
AgentDrex

Post by AgentDrex »

I attempted the remote connection previously but noticed only one person can remote into the VM at a time. Am I wrong about this? I successfully remoted into the VM yesterday using a different machine in the lab, but when I attempted to remote from yet another machine, the first machine I remoted from had the remote connection dropped. Perhaps I am doing something wrong again. I tend to do that a lot I guess. It won't be too difficult to recover from the BSOD. I can simply repair the installation and make all the changes necessary on the main host while no other host is running (ie, updates, etc.). I am wondering if, while running the keyboard software at the same time on multiple machines, I will get that BSOD again. Well, here I go, thank you for such a prompt reply Sasquatch. Much appreciated.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

From what I understand is that you have one VDI that is booted multiple times from different systems, so the file is accessed more than once from different sources. That will cause huge problems.

For VRDP, you can enable multiple connections, but you will see the session from the already connected user and interact with it.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.

AgentDrex

Post by AgentDrex »

Thank you again for the quick reply. What you said is indeed correct on how I attempted to use VBox. I see how there could possibly be huge problems. I was looking for a solution where my clients could log into any machine and access their information. As I mentioned, I have no server OS and so was trying a workaround. I realize what VBox was intended for, I guess I stretched my imagination too far. Thank you for the help.
AgentDrex

Post by AgentDrex »

Through some more research, it looks as though the Windows XP Remote Desktop only allows one user at a time. Either the remote user or local user. I found a couple work-around to this, but apparently it is stated that it is only for three (3) concurrent users, I need to have 7+ users able to use the programs on the host machine at the same time and again, without a "server". Are there any solutions that would allow my clients to use a keyboarding program from any of the lab machines and be able to keep their progress? Maybe they create a resume and save it to one machine, and they come in another day to print out a copy. How can I do this (without a server and roaming profiles) so they can use any machine available? Thank you again for any assistance and/or taunting.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

You could use immutable VDI (the current one) and disable the auto-reset feature on it. Then each user will get his/her own VM to connect to through (V)RDP. That should go without issues. Else you really need to look at some server-like solution.

AgentDrex

Post by AgentDrex »

Thank you. I do believe my only option at this point is to purchase windows server 2008 and some versions of windows 7 (which I actually like, shame on me). Then I won't have to deal with this anymore. Again I must restate that I realize what VirtualBox is intended for, but I digress, my poop still stinks.