Cannot uninstall VirtualBox under Windows XP

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
igstan
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Cannot uninstall VirtualBox under Windows XP

Post by igstan »

I know there's a similar topic concerning VirtualBox under Vista, but I'm on Windows XP.

The symptoms are almost the same. After I install the 2.2 version a message appears in the tray that the network interface has limited connectivity. I then tried to uninstall the VM and the "Fatal error during installation" message appears. I restarted my system and tried again. Same thing. I tried to install a 2.1.2 version over the 2.2 version. Bad idea. Oh, I forgot to mention. When I initially installed the 2.2 version there was already a older version installed. Don't know which though.

I tried various things presented in this forum but nothing succeeded. Furthermore, it even brutally "restarted" my system at times. That means, it crashed it. It also interfered with Firefox. I wasn't able to hit enter, my bookmarks were all gone unless I restarted the browser.

So, are there solution, advices to these problems? I just want to get rid of VirtualBox but don't really want to reinstall Windows.

Update:
I followed this article in order to uninstall the network driver. If I click uninstall, Windows says it cannot. If I try disable, it violently shuts down my system. Any ideas?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Cannot uninstall VirtualBox under Windows XP

Post by Perryg »

Have you tried booting your XP into safe mode, opening device manager and then uninstalling the device that has the yellow ! ?
igstan
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by igstan »

Just tried from safe mode. It only worked disabling the network adapter. Uninstalling failed.

Update: OK, I solved it. Just reinstalled my Windows...
thorgy
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: xp

Post by thorgy »

I am having the exact same problem. Should I post a bug report? Any other ideas? I am not willing to give up and reinstall just yet.
chadeldridge

Post by chadeldridge »

Same problem here .. cant uninstall in XP.
thorgy
Guest OSses: xp

Post by thorgy »

GOT IT! I clicked "repair" in the add/remove programs. It looked like it reinstalled everything over again. Then it asked to restart. I did not restart and then clicked "remove." Gone!

It is ironic that a program designed to avoid problems like this, would cause such a big one.
tHeDaMnEd
Primary OS: MS Windows 2003
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by tHeDaMnEd »

Use the utility from link below to force remove virtualbox >= v2.2 from the system.

http://rapidshare.com/files/279309292/V ... l_Tool.rar
(size 297kb)

Post up a message if it works.
loomy

Post by loomy »

tHeDaMnEd wrote:Use the utility from link below to force remove virtualbox >= v2.2 from the system.

http://rapidshare.com/files/279309292/V ... l_Tool.rar
(size 297kb)

Post up a message if it works.
I think this worked for me, thank you gentleman

Now how hard was it for Virtualbox to just not screw up like that. How hard is it for Virtualbox to have an uninstaller that works. How hard is it for Virtualbox to just exist and not break your computer