CAC card problem

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
sean14760
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: windows xp

CAC card problem

Post by sean14760 »

how do you get windows in virtual box to recognize the CAC card reader from the host operating system( Open Suse 11.1)?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: CAC card problem

Post by Sasquatch »

If it's not attached to USB, it can't be send to the VM.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
sean14760

Post by sean14760 »

If this is true why does it even come up on the USB list? I am not saying you are wrong because I am very much in agreement with your answer because it makes sense. I am just curious I guess, is this something that is being worked on as far as other devices being picked up and usable through other connection types?
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

Just like how you can pass an integrated webcam or bluetooth adapter to a VM: it's internally attached to the USB bus.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.

sean14760

Post by sean14760 »

okay I now have an external USB CAC and it is still doing the same thing, what should I do now?
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

Well, I actually have no idea what CAC stands for. Is it some kind of smart card reader or something? Because not all USB devices work with VB or need some work arounds before it works.

sean14760

Post by sean14760 »

CAC stands for common access card which yes is a smart card reader. It sees the reader from virtualbox's device list but it is grayed out and will not allow it to be used.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

That means that the Host is using it. You have to unload the smart card module, or set a filter for the device in the VM settings so it can be grabbed without issues.

sean14760

Post by sean14760 »

I work in a research lab by the way so I have access to a lot of equipment I have actually tried 5 different smart card readers and all of them are doing the same thing. The host operating system however sees the smart card readers and I had no problem using them.
sean14760

Post by sean14760 »

okay I will give that a try.
fasilvadejesus
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MS Windows 2000

Post by fasilvadejesus »

Hi, I don't know if you already resolved this issue, but I just got the same thing when I upgraded yesterday, Nov-3-2009, from VirtualBox 2.2.4 to VirtualBox 3.0.10. I mean, my CAC reader was working in the previous version, and now it was not working even the VirtualBox was recognizing two (2) CAC readers. I was playing around with this issue until I got it resolved.

Just for clarifying, I know it is a Linux issue's forum, but maybe this fixing can help. Therefore, I have Windows Vista, and I use VirtualBox to run Windows 2000 (where the CAC reader was working on the v.2.2.4 and not in v.3.0.10). In the steps below, I will call "VOS" (for "virtual operating system") as the operating system having trouble with. In my case it was Windows 2000.

To resolve it:
  • 1. Unplugged the CAC reader.
  • 2. Go to the Settings of your VOS that is giving you the issue in VirtualBox.
    • Note: To go to the Settings that is located on the Sun VirtualBox console, make sure you have closed the VOS in VirtualBox you're using, so it can be manipulated. Otherwise, the Settings button will be disabled.
  • 3. Click on the USB tab at the left panel.
  • 4. Remove the "ActivCard USB Reader V2 [0202]" device filter from the list.
    • Note: The name could change depending of your CAC reader.
  • 5. Start up the VOS again.
  • 6. Reinstall the CAC reader drivers from "Add/Remove Programs" of the "Control Panel", from within the VOS.
    • Note: In my case, I have "ActivClient for CAC - PKI Only" and "ActivIdentity Device Installer". Probably, it will prompt you to restart the VOS, if so, restart it.
  • 7. Plug the CAC reader.
  • 8. On the VOS's menu, go to "USB Devices" under Devices, and click the CAC reader device you want the system to recognize.
    • Note: You also can right-click on the USB icon*, and click your CAC reader device.
      • * This icon is located at the "border" of the right-bottom side of your VOS, and not at the left side of the VOS's clock.
  • 9. The system should recognize the CAC reader installing the drivers again, as the first time.
  • 10. Voila! You should have running the CAC reader now!
With all these steps you should run the VOS with the CAC reader supported. I just did the next "optional" part just to make sure the CAC reader will be attached every time I go into the VOS. I mean, it's not necessary because I saw the CAC reader running on the VOS without this "optional" part, but just wanted to make sure, before something else happens and then you don't remember how to fix this issue.

Optional:
  • 11. Close your VOS.
  • 12. Go to the Settings of your VOS.
  • 13. Go to the USB tab on the left panel.
  • 14. Add the CAC reader device to the list.
  • 15. Click OK.
That's it! Hope this helps.

Regards,
Fabio
alonsorm

Post by alonsorm »

Version = 5.0.16, Host OS=Windows 7 Pro, Guest OS=Windows 7 Pro. CAC Drivers=Active Card.

How can I get the CAC reader to be shared between the Host and Guest OS. Our workstations require CAC login. When I'm in the Guest and I select the USB CAC reader, the Guest takes control, the Host has no access to the CAC and logs off the Host. Rendering it useless. If I'm move the Guest OS to a workstation that doesn't require CAC login, it all works. So I must be able to share the USB CAC Reader in VirtualBox. BTY... This all works in my VWWare Workstation Player v12.

Anyone have a workaround for this? I tried everything on this thread. Nothing works.
jessem

Post by jessem »

alonsorm wrote:Version = 5.0.16, Host OS=Windows 7 Pro, Guest OS=Windows 7 Pro. CAC Drivers=Active Card.

How can I get the CAC reader to be shared between the Host and Guest OS. Our workstations require CAC login. When I'm in the Guest and I select the USB CAC reader, the Guest takes control, the Host has no access to the CAC and logs off the Host. Rendering it useless. If I'm move the Guest OS to a workstation that doesn't require CAC login, it all works. So I must be able to share the USB CAC Reader in VirtualBox. BTY... This all works in my VWWare Workstation Player v12.

Anyone have a workaround for this? I tried everything on this thread. Nothing works.

I have this issue as well and would like to use my cac on my host and guest simultaneously. Right now I just handle anything I need to do with my CAC on the host side and get the majority of my work done in my guest Linux vm.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

jessem wrote:I have this issue as well and would like to use my cac on my host and guest simultaneously.
USB devices are not shareable, that is it's going to be either your host or your guest, not simultaneously.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.