Installing Windows 2003 on SCSI HDD

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
rfullford
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WinXP, Win2003, Win7, Vista

Installing Windows 2003 on SCSI HDD

Post by rfullford »

I'm thinking that I may have collided with a VirtualBox limitation on Windows Hosts (mine is WinXP SP3) because I have found a number of posts down this line without a resolution.

I'm trying to install Windows 2003 Server on HDD attached to a SCSI controller. I have created a new virtual HDD and added an LSI Logic SCSI adapter as an Additional Adapter. After getting past the issue that a disk attached to SCSI 0 is not found I am able to launch the Windows setup, see the HDD I have created but when Windows setup tries to format the disk I get the following error: "Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged. Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. If the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated."

I've tried adding LSILogic drivers as part of the install process (though setup complains that it already has the drivers) with no success.

Does anybody know how to make this work?
Is anybody able to say definitively that it should or should not work?
Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,
RJF
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Re: Installing Windows 2003 on SCSI HDD

Post by vbox4me2 »

The obvious question comes to mind... why on earth do you want scsi inside a VM?? stick to sata, much faster, even if the Host is on scsi.
rfullford

Post by rfullford »

Yes I know, but I'm attempting to restore an SBS 2003 server from it's backup. To do that I need to replicate the machines HW config, particularly the disk controller. It's an LSI Logic SCSI controller.

RJF
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

Still easy, only use IDE to restore, once booted with IDE you can install scsi/sata drivers and then enable them for the VM. (or set the driver set ready in c:\(or an additional second vm disk), windows will boot and ask where the drivers are).
rfullford

Post by rfullford »

I'll give it a go. Thanks,

RJF
rfullford

Re: SOLVED - Installing Windows 2003 on SCSI HDD

Post by rfullford »

The answer is to do a Quick Format of the SCSI drive selected for the OS install, NOT a Full Format.

RJF
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Quick format is all I ever do for any virtual disk under any virtualization program.
Bill