Customize OEM String count

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Random User

Customize OEM String count

Post by Random User »

Would like to have the ability to add more then 2 OEM Strings. Currently need at least 8 OEM Strings however only see two as supported, unless I'm Wrong.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Customize OEM String count

Post by mpack »

This means nothing to me. Please supply some context to make this suggestion make sense, otherwise the post will likely be treated as spam and deleted within 24 hours.
Random User

Post by Random User »

Oookay, don't know what I did to warrant this kind of reply, but here goes:
Located right in the VirtualBox instruction manual.
I cannot post the link because I have not been a member long enough and have to wait 24 hours, and by then according to you this post would likely be treated as spam and deleted, so you'll have to find the instruction manual yourself but it isn't hard to find.
On it where it shows DMI OEM strings (type 11)
$ VBoxManage setextradata VM-name \
"VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiOEMVBoxVer" "vboxVer_1.2.3"
$ VBoxManage setextradata VM-name \
"VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiOEMVBoxRev" "vboxRev_12345"
See, only allows for 2 OEM Strings. Is it possible to be able to increase the number of the OEM strings. As I have more OEM Strings to input for the Virtual Machine. If it isn't possible then request to be able to do so?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

It does appear that there are only two of those strings. A bit of unguided and unschooled google-fu-ing shows it may be possible to have more that 2 strings in a real computer.

The devs have said that they only have time & resources to add features that Oracle's paying customers want. So ultimately the only way you'll get more strings is to change the source code and build a custom Virtualbox. If your code is solid the devs maight include it in Virtualbox, though.

Do you need all eight strings at once? Or can you run with two from the whole set, then shut down and run with a different two?
Random User

Post by Random User »

Thank you for response.
That is something I have never thought of, so I think I will give the juggling of the OEM Strings a try. Sounds like it could work and thank you again for your suggestion.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If you do find that two at a time will work, you can batch-file the vboxmanage commands and even start the guest from the batch file too.