Add ability to sort and group virtual computers with tags

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
SDS

Add ability to sort and group virtual computers with tags

Post by SDS »

I think it would be useful to be able to tag virtuals with some sort of metadata that lived within the .vbox file. These could be keywords or a predefined set of icons (which would really just be another integer value of 1-255, or whatever). Then being able to filter the list of virtuals based on the metadata would be useful for managing large lists of virtuals.

In my case, I have a bunch of virtuals that I want to archive and I'd like to be able to tag them, regardless of the grouping, so I can work through them one-by-one or give that task to someone else. It would potentially allow grouping by more than the one level that's offered now. Other examples might be to group virtuals by OS, company, department, maintenance schedule, virtuals with problems, by network, etc.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Add ability to sort and group virtual computers with tags

Post by scottgus1 »

Sounds like a good idea! Any form of searching through guests, regardless of group, especially when there are lots of guests, is not implemented yet.

It is possible, by right-clicking a guest and choosing Sort, to sort the guests in that group in alphabetical order, but that's it.

Enhancement requests need to go on the Bugtracker to be seen by the devs. Keep in mind that the devs report only having time to work on Oracle customers' enhancements, so hopefully an Oracle customer with lots of guests also wants tagging, searching, & other forms of sorting. User code can be contributed, too.
SDS

Re: Add ability to sort and group virtual computers with tags

Post by SDS »

Thanks for the note on posting to the bugtracker, I'll do that.