Fedora 32 is not 32-bit Fedora

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
imrazor
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2012 & R2, Win8.1, CentOS 7

Fedora 32 is not 32-bit Fedora

Post by imrazor »

Ran into a bit of awkwardness today when I tried to create a Fedora 32 (as in version 32 of Fedora) virtual machine. I originally started out with a 64-bit OS, but when I added "32" to the end of the distro name, VirtualBox assumed I meant 32-bit and stealthily switched from 64-bit to 32-bit mode. This lead to several minutes of confusion for me as the Fedora x64 ISO kept insisting that it couldn't boot on a 32-bit processor.

I tried to change the VM CPU properties from 32-bit to 64-bit, but the ISO still wouldn't boot. Finally I had to destroy the VM entirely and start fresh, this time making sure that the number 32 was nowhere in the VM name/title. I guess this isn't exactly a bug, but seems to rather be a minor flaw in the automatic VM configuration algorithm.

Note: Using the macOS version of VirtualBox, at revision 6.1.10.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Fedora 32 is not 32-bit Fedora

Post by scottgus1 »

Confirmed with 6.1.10 on Windows 10 1909. 'Fedora 3' stays 64-bit. Soon as the 2 is typed, the guest type switches to 32-bit.

Post this on the Bugtracker. The devs probably won't see it here.
imrazor

Post by imrazor »

Posted bug #19670 in the bug tracker. You might want to add a comment so the devs know it's affecting multiple users/platforms.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

A side note, it seems the number 32 in a pre-recognized OS family is the trigger. The guest type defaults to Windows 7 64-bit on starting a new guest. Typing 'wind3' keeps the guest at Windows 7 64-bit. Continuing to 'wind32' switches to Windows 7 32-bit. Typing 'li' stays Windows 7 64-bit. Continuing to 'lin' switches to Linux 2.6/3.x/4.x 64-bit 'lin3' stays 64-bit. 'lin32' switches to 32-bit. Inventing a name like 'joxy or 'joxy32' stays on Windows 7 64-bit and does not cause a switch to 32-bit.

I'll add to the bug https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/19670, thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Just avoid using '32' or '64' in the VM name, or change the OS version yourself after typing the name. It's equivalent to autocomplete, needing to correct VirtualBox's guess is perfectly normal, and hardly an imposition. I mean how many Fedora 32 VMs do you intend to create?
imrazor

Post by imrazor »

mpack wrote:Just avoid using '32' or '64' in the VM name, or change the OS version yourself after typing the name. It's equivalent to autocomplete, needing to correct VirtualBox's guess is perfectly normal, and hardly an imposition. I mean how many Fedora 32 VMs do you intend to create?
Two points here:

1) Not everyone is familiar with VirtualBox's functionality in this regard, and unlike autocomplete, the change is not on the same line that you're typing on, so it's easy to miss. It took me several minutes to realize that VirtualBox had "outsmarted" me with it's guess.

2) When I tried to change from 32-bit to 64-bit after the fact, the change was ignored, and the VM persisted in booting up in 32-bit mode. I had to delete the VM and start fresh to get a 64-bit VM.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

mpack wrote:change the OS version yourself after typing the name
It's even a bit trickier:

If you create a VM named Win32, and immediately change the OS Version back to Windows 7 (64-bit) inside the VM creation dialog, the resulting VM is 32-bit (no Long Mode, no IO-APIC).

If you create a VM named Win32, and later go into the VM configuration and change the OS Version to Windows 7 (64-bit), the resulting VM is changed to 64-bit (with Long Mode and IO-APIC).
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

fth0 wrote: If you create a VM named Win32, and immediately change the OS Version back to Windows 7 (64-bit) inside the VM creation dialog, the resulting VM is 32-bit
Well, in that case the bug report should say that VirtualBox ignores the selected OS version, which would definitely be a bug. The bug report should NOT say that VirtualBox guesses wrong when auto-completing a form field, unless the guess is unreasonable.