One Day / One Post before submitting U-R-L-s.

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
oceanjeremy

One Day / One Post before submitting U-R-L-s.

Post by oceanjeremy »

Humble suggestion!

I am in the process of writing my very first post requesting assistance with a VirtualBox issue, and I'm trying my hardest to follow best practices and posting guidelines.

As such I'd like to share the U-R-L of the instructions I followed to install Guest Additions (in case there's anything there that's relevant to my problem).

I received this message:
Please read the Forum Posting Guide before you post. These guidelines and rules help the VirtualBox community to make the most of this forum, and help avoid unnecessary repetition of questions which have previously been asked and answered

You must be a member for 1 days and have 1 posts before you can post u-r-l-s.
So maybe you could... not do that? Or have first-post U-R-L-s get moderated before posting?

Either way I'm posting this so I can include the U-R-L on my second post (the one I was editing, which would have been my first post). Hopefully that works. :D
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: One Day / One Post before submitting U-R-L-s.

Post by fth0 »

oceanjeremy wrote:So maybe you could... not do that? Or have first-post U-R-L-s get moderated before posting?
I cannot give you an authoritative answer, but the following is probably the correct answer:

The URL blocking is used to prevent spammers from posting, and many forum users do not follow external links anyway. Additionally, there are not enough active moderators available to implement your second suggestion.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Yes. One-day-one-post before URLs is for spammers. It stops a lot of them, though not all.

The forum's Upload Attachment tab is usable on the first day first post. If you believe it's essential to post a URL, you can put it in a text file and attach the text file. A mod can add it in if it is essential, or a many-post user can re-post it if necessary.

Unless something really unusual is being attempted, it could be better to ask how to do something rather than discussing an offsite tutorial's ideas. There's some strange stuff out there :shock:
oceanjeremy

Post by oceanjeremy »

Thanks for the replies!

This post marked my first post so I was able to put the URL in my initial support post (since it was technically my second).

It makes a lot of sense — screening for scammers — and I understand this is 100% volunteer, so moderating each URL first post is not feasible.