Bringing WarpDrive back to newer versions of VirtualBox

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Uliuf

Bringing WarpDrive back to newer versions of VirtualBox

Post by Uliuf »

Hey!

This feature is so useful to me that I've created an account just to post about this...

In old versions of VirtualBox, there was a feature called WarpDrive. Basically, you could use the command "VBoxManage setextradata (VM name) "VBoxInternal/TM/WarpDrivePercentage" (number)" to make the clock of the guest OS run at that speed. So if the number you entered was 200, the guest's clock would run at x2 speed, every second is two seconds in the guest VM. This feature is very useful if you want everything in the VM to go slower or faster, and it can be used in old games where the clock's speed would affect the game's speed directly.

I've found some information about this feature in official VirtualBox documentation, though I can't post it because I must be a member for 1 day and have 1 post before I can post urls. Though it's not a feature that has ever been talked about too much apparently.

VirtualBox is the only software that provided a feature like this as far as I know. No other VM software or even regular software for host PCs offered this.

This feature stopped working altogether from version 5.0 onwards. It still works in version 4.3, but getting these old versions to run in modern Windows 10 is a bit problematic. As far as I know, the feature wasn't intentionally removed, but as it was very old code it just stopped working.

I use this feature so much that I actually downgraded to Windows 10 Anniversary Update (August 2016) to be able to run VirtualBox 4.3.40. But sadly, as time goes by, software starts to be incompatible with this old Windows version and I already have problems with some drivers. And this feature is the only thing holding me back.

VirtualBox 4.3 could run in Windows 10 until Build 16237 (July 2017). From that build onwards, all VMs fail to start (this was talked about back in the day (again, I can't post links.) It affected VirtualBox 5.0 and 5.1 as well, but these versions were still supported so their users just updated to the new builds). Some of the oldest 4.3 builds (not the newest) can still run on the last version of Windows 10, but give many errors and don't support Windows 10 as a guest OS.

Therefore, I'd love to see WarpDrive again on modern versions of VirtualBox, so I wouldn't have to be stuck with both an old OS and an old version of VirtualBox.

Thanks for reading :)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Bringing WarpDrive back to newer versions of VirtualBox

Post by socratis »

Uliuf wrote:In old versions of VirtualBox, there was a feature called WarpDrive.
Still is AFAIK...
Uliuf wrote:I've found some information about this feature in official VirtualBox documentation, though I can't post it because I must be a member for 1 day and have 1 post before I can post urls.
You can't say User Manual, ch. "9.13.2 Accelerate or Slow Down the Guest Clock"? That doesn't require a URL...
Uliuf wrote:This feature stopped working altogether from version 5.0 onwards
I need to see some proof regarding that statement. What did you do to the VM? Did you stop all time-synchronization for example as the User Manual says?

I want to see the recipe of the VM, the ".vbox" file. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager, select "Show in Finder/Explorer/FileManager/Whatever". ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.

I also need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe or recreate the problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.