UEFI / EFI not fully implemented

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
pedz

UEFI / EFI not fully implemented

Post by pedz »

I'm not claiming to know really what I'm talking about. My intent here is just tell people what I've seen and discovered.

It seems that the operating system (what would be called the guest system in this case) can modify the EFI settings and these are suppose to be saved across power loss. The EFI settings are things like the boot order and what precisely (the full path) to boot.

Based upon my experience and a few web articles, this does not seem to be implemented. The host can update the EFI settings and they will take effect but only until the guest operating system is shutdown. Then at start up, it will revert back to some settings -- I guess the settings in the "Boot Order" list in VM => Settings => System.

This comes up in particular with Arch Linux guest hosts but I bet it comes up with any guest trying to use EFI boot paths besides the default paths.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: UEFI / EFI not fully implemented

Post by socratis »

See ticket #14279: Switch on permanent NVRAM to fix UEFI boot.

NVRAM on EFI boot setups has been starting to get implemented with 6.1.0b1 and later. Give it a spin... ;)

Moving to "Suggestions" from "Using VirtualBox"...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.