Don't flush other IPs when setting up vboxnet interfaces

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
poige

Don't flush other IPs when setting up vboxnet interfaces

Post by poige »

Currently I'm using vboxnet-interfaces configured with other tools, for e. g., it could be Quagga that supports adding configured IPs postponed till interface's creation.
Those IPs are in fact statically assigned and they belong to different IP-networks.

But then during Virtualbox configuration of vboxnet interfaces it completely flushes all IPs but the one it uses itself.

There's no clear workaround for that, hence I'm suggesting to change this behaviour.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Don't flush other IPs when setting up vboxnet interfaces

Post by socratis »

poige wrote:I'm using vboxnet-interfaces
What do you mean by that, can you explain it? Not a term I'm familiar with.
poige wrote:it could be Quagga that supports adding configured IPs postponed till interface's creation.
Again, what is "Quagga"? And why would VirtualBox know what a Quagga is?
poige wrote:it completely flushes all IPs but the one it uses itself.
What's the "completely flushes" part?

I believe that you need to explain your problem in VirtualBox-speak, to make it more understandable...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

It looks like the OP want's to use the host OS possibilities to assign more than one IP address to a network interface on a vbox created (vboxnet) network interface.
Vbox seems to completely reinitialize its virtual interfaces which removes changes / additions done outside of Vbox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

If we're talking about this Quagga (https://www.quagga.net/) I can't understand how there's interference, I guess I'm old school and I need to see a step-by-step guide on how to re-create the scenario, and most importantly where does VirtualBox come into play.
Martin wrote:Vbox seems to completely reinitialize its virtual interfaces which removes changes / additions done outside of Vbox.
What does that mean? You want to change a NIC's properties (which ones?) from within the guest and then VirtualBox breaks those changes? (how?)

Again, an example would go a long way...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.