An Option For Disable Logging - For Security Reasons

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Jeny

An Option For Disable Logging - For Security Reasons

Post by Jeny »

Hi!

It would nice to add an option for disabling logging on both guest and host. As there is no such option or documentation.

The command "VBoxManage setproperty loghistorycount <value>" wont disable or limit the log files fir the host.

For security reasons I need to disable logging,

In case of error, we can enable this option again,

Thank in advance,

Kind regards,
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: An Option For Disable Logging - For Security Reasons

Post by scottgus1 »

Jeny wrote:For security reasons I need to disable logging,
What security issues do you see in the log?
Jeny

Post by Jeny »

Hahahaha, I can't say everything,

But I can give examples:

The location of my machines
The DNS servers
The times I started on and off the machine
The user name of my encrypted machine

The list will go on and on

As I said, it would be nice, instead of deleting

Not to mention to save time and resources, instead of automaticly logging and then manually deleting the useless security risk logs every time!

Again, it would be nice, a lot would appreciate it, and it has been asked so many times
Last edited by mpack on 16. Oct 2019, 11:06, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Jeny wrote:useless security risk logs
From a security standpoint they may carry some risk, but the logs are hardly useless. You may notice that the forums are replete with unobfuscated log requests: the logs are needed to fix issues with guests. One could just run with no logs, then turn the logging back on for the troubleshooting period though, true.

I honestly don't know how a DNS server could be a security issue, unless you're hacking someone else's. :lol: And paths to files & usernames have never allowed a hack just by themselves. Even Stack Exchange says a username isn't a security hole. But if folks can get to the Virtualbox logs then they are already on your PC and can get to everything that's not encrypted. Then they put a keylogger on and your encrypted stuff is now out. So a log reader may already have you kerflummuxed before they get to the log. As the security gurus say, "If the bad guy has had physical access to your computer, then it's not your computer anymore." Then comes , of course, the quintessential, " We should nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure." :evil:

If it's been asked a lot and the devs haven't done it, then the paying Oracle customers haven't wanted it. The devs have said they have to chase the moolah and don't have enough time to put in things us freebies ask for. That said, folks can contribute code, which may be inserted, or can be built as desired on their own PCs.
Jeny

Post by Jeny »

I hope anyone supports this idea will keep this thread alive.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Jeny wrote:I hope anyone supports this idea will keep this thread alive.
OK, but just keep in mind this is a forlorn hope unless it coincides with what the paying customers want, or if you program it yourself. All the posts here or on similar threads will be for naught unless someone with money or coding skills shows up and wants this too.
Jeny

Post by Jeny »

I don't wanna be impolite, or rude, excuse my manner, I just wanted to write anything so your post wont be the last one,

If anyone interested, starting a machine using the command line will skip the command "--sup-hardening-log=" and wont log VBoxHardening.log which usually is the biggest

hope this will be helpful

I downloaded the source and looking into a solution also it is almost 700MB with over 38000 file, I don't think I will find think anytime soon
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Jeny wrote:and it has been asked so many times
As they would say in Wikipedia, [Citation needed].
Jeny wrote:For security reasons I need to disable logging,
I would call that sentence something similar to "bull/horse manure", but I'm not allowed to.

Excuse me, but... you are talking about a "security risk", running your VMs, on your computer, with your username/login? Are you kidding me now? Who exactly is this information exposed to besides yourself? :shock:
  • The location of your machines? How so? Where is that info in a VBox.log?
  • Your DNS server? Go to the Network Settings, or run ipconfig/ifconfig. You're still on your account, right? Because even a guest on your computer has access to that.
  • The time you started a VM? How's that sensitive info to anyone but you?
  • The user name of your encrypted VM? When/where is that logged in a VBox.log? Evidence please.
I can't help but thinking that you want to hack into someone else's VMs and you simply want to hide that fact, seriously now.

And unless you come back with some convincing evidence/arguments that shows that you're not into hiding the obvious, this thread is going to go to "/dev/null" in 24 hours, because I see it as an attempt to bypass key VirtualBox features for no obvious reasons, except a hacking/masquerading attempt.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jeny

Post by Jeny »

socratis wrote:I would call that sentence something similar to "bull/horse manure", but I'm not allowed to.
I am sorry but I can't stoop to your level ..... and you are a Moderator?

I hope there is an admin ....... really strange forum ..... where are my manners
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I did watch my manners. That is the filtered version, trust me.

Instead of "getting stuck" to irrelevant side-details and evading the core of the issues I raised, please focus on answering the questions/issues raised.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Unless you can outline a credible security hole caused by logging then I'm afraid you will not get any serious responses.

Also, "keeping a topic alive" (artificially) is not something we would want. If your idea has a sound and reasonable basis then people will comment naturally.
Jeny

Post by Jeny »

socratis wrote:I did watch my manners. That is the filtered version, trust me.

Instead of "getting stuck" to irrelevant side-details and evading the core of the issues I raised, please focus on answering the questions/issues raised.
I don't have to explain myself. and only idiots will thinks it is for hacking,

BTW Hackers need logs on their PC, and I already delete all logs on my PC not only Virtual box for reasons only experts and professionals can understand

And your forum have lost a good person usually help with answers, this will be my last post.

Feeling like inside a police station in North Korea
Last edited by Jeny on 16. Oct 2019, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Jeny wrote:I don't have to explain myself.
Yes, you do, because the devs are not going to be impressed by "because I want it".
Jeny wrote:Feeling like inside a police station in North Korea
Nor by ridiculous hyperbole.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Jeny wrote:I already delete all logs on my PC not only Virtual box for reasons only experts and professionals can understand
OK, I'll bite... Please enlighten me!
(I believe that's exactly what I asked of you)

Share your knowledge, I might be missing something not so obvious, I didn't proclaim myself as a know-all guru. Or an "expert"/"professional"...
Jeny

Post by Jeny »

socratis wrote:(I believe that's exactly what I asked of you)
You didn't ask, you threatened!
socratis wrote: And unless you come back with some convincing evidence/arguments that shows that you're not into hiding the obvious, this thread is going to go to "/dev/null" in 24 hours
And you know what, I don't have to answer you, this featured have been asked so many times, unless all the people are hackers according to you logic.

For developers and other who are reading.

Logging will only consume your CPU/Hard disks, and they are useless,in plain text will only expose your privacy and put you in a security risk (will not explain under threat, last I checked I still live in a free country).

In case of debugging, you can enable this feature again!