Wiki - Linux downloads - no `bionic` among the Debian-based distros?

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
lothario

Wiki - Linux downloads - no `bionic` among the Debian-based distros?

Post by lothario »

At https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_D ... tributions, I don't see "bionic" among the Ubuntu release codenames. I'm on Ubuntu 18.04 and tried `xenial`, but couldn't install (see the error below). Used `bionic`, and the installation succeeded. (It still fails with a "NS_ERROR_FAILURE", but that's another story.)
[quote]The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 virtualbox-6.0 : Depends: libcurl3 (>= 7.16.2) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.13-4) but it is not installable
                  Depends: libvpx3 (>= 1.5.0) but it is not installable
                  Recommends: libsdl-ttf2.0-0 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
[/quote]
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Wiki - Linux downloads - no `bionic` among the Debian-based distros?

Post by socratis »

Hmm... Interesting, because there is a stand-alone version for 'Bionic' 18.04, plus for 18.10 and 19.04. Did you try that? I'll ask around why the distro-specific don't work with the 'apt-get' method...

FYI, I'm on Mint19, which is practically 18.04 'Bionic', but I don't use the apt-get method, I download the individual .deb installer.
 Edit:  
I just re-read your message:
lothario wrote:I'm on Ubuntu 18.04 and tried `xenial`, but couldn't install... Used `bionic`, and the installation succeeded.
So, you did manage to install it using 'bionic' as the "<mydist>" keyword. What in a sense you're saying is that the instructions are wrong and do not include more "<mydist>" parameters, is that correct?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.