Settings Menu in Guest additions

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
lonixlon

Settings Menu in Guest additions

Post by lonixlon »

Hi, i have windows 10 running in a virtual environment, i access this virtual machine using RDP in windows,

It would be nice if i could alter the settings of the virtual machine from the guest,
It would be nice if the Guest additions had an interface that could alter settings on the host machine.

might be impractical, but would be useful.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Settings Menu in Guest additions

Post by scottgus1 »

Some of the settings that you can't access while the guest is running would be similar to BIOS settings, as well as hardware choices. Neither of these are things that can be changed while the guest is running. All of the settings (at least I think it's all of them) that can be changed while the guest is running are available in the guest window menu and the fullscreen/seamless mini bar.

However you want to be able to change these settings from within the guest itself, perhaps while RDPing into the guest OS..... That's not possible now. You can put an Enhancement Request in on the Bugtracker.

Meanwhile, if you are good at scripting, you can make a host script that can monitor a vboxmanage get/setextradata key for vboxmanage commands that you could set inside the guest (as long as the guest has Guest Additions installed) and then run the commands on the host to change the guest settings. Sanitize the command input from within the host script so folks who find out about this capability can't just run any command on the host - it's a major security leak depending on how it's programmed. (By sanitizing, I mean, don't have the host script blindly run whatever is in the extradata key at a command prompt. Have the script expect only vboxmanage commands and switches, and have the script insert the actual "vboxmanage" part, so only vboxmanage commands and switches will work. There's probably other things that can be done too.)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

lonixlon wrote:It would be nice if i could alter the settings of the virtual machine from the guest
Out of curiosity, what settings exactly did you have in mind?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
gimbleguy

Post by gimbleguy »

That's what I want to know too
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

gimbleguy,

Isn't it interesting that a first-post/generic-question, asked from someone in Australia (lonixlon), is replied with a first-post/generic-comment, also from Australia? Just sayin' that statistics are weird sometimes... :roll:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.