Video capture encoding acceleration

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Bob_Cat

Video capture encoding acceleration

Post by Bob_Cat »

The current screen recording in VirtualBox uses software encoding, it would be good to have an option to encode using Intel QSV, NVENC or AMD's native encoding libraries to off-load from the CPU.

User story:
  • As a Virtualbox user I want screen captures that minimise the impact on CPU usage of the host.
  • As a VirtualBox user I want screen captures to be consistent in quality, independent of spikes in CPU usage or memory bandwidth.
  • As a VirtualBox user I want to be able to select which algorithm to use for encoding, including hardware acceleration
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Video capture encoding acceleration

Post by scottgus1 »

These might be interesting "As a Virtualbox user". However, until you're a Virtualbox "purchaser", this may not get anywhere. And a "purchaser" has to shell out at least a thousand dollars just to get in the door: take a look at their store website. :shock:

You can try posting an Enhancement request on the Virtualbox Bugtracker. But if it doesn't jive with the Oracle support customers' needs now, it probably won't go far.

Or do the screencapture from a 3rd-party program on your host OS, where the full GPU capabilities are present.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

scottgus1 wrote:These might be interesting "As a Virtualbox user". However, until you're a Virtualbox "purchaser"...
:lol:

Good one Scott, that's a keeper... :)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Bob_Cat

Post by Bob_Cat »

It's so nice when the community greets a new user with sarcasm rather than attempting to embrace them...
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

What may seem to some as "sarcasm", some others would call it a "reality check", YMMV...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Yes, Bob-cat, looking at this again today, I see I laid it on too thick. I'm really sorry about that.

Your ideas do sound good. I don't screen-capture guests myself, so I can't speak to the pros and cons of the present setup and what might be able to change.

Just to let you know, though, the stuff after my unnecessary snark was correct, as far as hoping to get your ideas, or something like them, implemented. Virtualbox development is driven by Oracle customers, so unless your ideas coincide with the Oracle customers' ideas, they won't get implemented by the developers, who have said they're overfull with customers' needs and don't have any leftover time for other things.

That said, folks can contribute code, and if the code is good it can be put in.

Again, I'm sorry for being sarcastic.
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Bob_Cat wrote:"User story" / "As a Virtualbox user ..."
Well, I guess there has been a misunderstanding here that could be seen as a kind of generation conflict: scottgus1 and socratis (and fth0 as well ;)) didn't grow up with the Agile software development methodology. In consequence, your actually perfect wording probably sounded ... funny to them and invited to comments. Right or am I right? :D
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I definitely read Bob-cat's post differently than his likely intent.
fth0 wrote:Agile software development
What's this? Calisthenics while coding?
Jumping jacks! Up! Down! Start that subroutine! Left Foot! Right foot! Declare those variables! Floating push-ups! And type a line before you come back down!
I read the first paragraph on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_sof ... evelopment Sounds like Plato or Kant. My eyes started crossing. :lol: Back to my VBscript!