RFE: Add option to disable edge drag resizing of guest window

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Otaku Inside

RFE: Add option to disable edge drag resizing of guest window

Post by Otaku Inside »

As of now especially when the system is lagging,
operating at the edge of the guest os will very likely miss-drag the edge of the VM window resulting in
either resize-trigger of guest-os(auto-resize enabled)
or scroll bar showing up/blank area(auto-resize disabled).
Is it possible to add an option to disable edge-drag resizing and/or maximize icon.

I'm using windows version, don't know if other OS have similar behaviour.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: RFE: Add option to disable edge drag resizing of guest window

Post by socratis »

Otaku Inside wrote:Is it possible to add an option to disable edge-drag resizing and/or maximize icon.
Amen to that! +1!

I've been wanting this feature for the longest time. I would like to be able to freeze/lock the VM Window size to what *only* the guest decides to resize itself into, and not (just like you said) an accidental drag of the window border.

The maximize buttons are a little bit further away, and it's reversible by un-maximizing the window.

That of course goes against the integration-istas movement, but I'd really like to see this implemented. Got to keep them separated...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I've been thinking recently that the "Display" options for a VM could be reworked to allow the user to select a specific aspect ratio (e.g. 4:3, 16:9, 16:10), and the monitor would identify itself differently to the guest depending on what aspect ratio it uses. This would stop the common error that arises when the guest OS refuses to accept apparantly the same monitor with an aspect ratio that changes after installation: it's a situation that doesn't easily arise in the physical world. With the suggested config option it would look to the guest OS like you changed monitors.

Whether to force a specific size... I'm wary about that. You can't easily stop the host OS from controlling the size of one of its windows, and I don't think we need many more causes for the "I changed the window size and my guest doesn't automatically update" issues. Even having it as an optional feature wouldn't stop this.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:Even having it as an optional feature wouldn't stop this.
A hidden one then, a "VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/FreezeVMwindow"? ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Since my last post I was thinking about the repercussions of configuring a preferred aspect ratio. I was thinking that if you drag the window border then the window size should snap to the next size up or down with the correct aspect ratio. As a side effect this would mean that small perturbations (e.g. accidentally dragging the border a couple of pixels) might be ignored, and certainly the most annoying effect of such an accident - losing your nice "standard" display size - would no longer be as annoying since the new size would also be standard.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The solution that you're thinking about, is sort of there already. Under the host's menu "View" » "Virtual Screen n" » "Resize to NxM", you have already a list of pre-set values (https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox ... 76553#L236). Also, if you're using EFI you can set it to one of the preset ones, see ch. 3.14.1 Video Modes in EFI.

Let's hope that this part (detection, suggestion) will improve as the VBoxVGA part is being phased out, and the code will become more manageable.