Guest additions for DOS

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
mcandre

Guest additions for DOS

Post by mcandre »

Could there be guest additions for MS-DOS, FreeDOS, DR DOS, etc., so that more VirtualBox functionality works for DOS guests? For example, `VBoxManage guestcontrol run`... would be an incredible convenience compared to having to setup telnet servers or compile your own SSH server for DOS.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest additions for DOS

Post by socratis »

I vaguely remember that this is not feasible due to technical reasons. For example you don't even have GAs for Win9x, only for WinNT x.y and that's just because the API to program a feature such as VBoxControl isn't there. There aren't that many programs that could remotely take over and control a DOS-based computer.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Guest additions for DOS

Post by mpack »

There are lots of other problems too, like DOS is not a multi-tasking OS, and it all has to be 16bit code, and everything has to fit in 1MB.

But the biggest problem is: who is this for? Are lots of business users going to fork over bucketloads of cash to make this happen? I would guess not.