log file saved name

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
JustinH

log file saved name

Post by JustinH »

This is a request to improve the file name scheme when saving log files from the VBox Manager.

Currently, when you hit the Save button, you get a prescribed file name that starts with the VM name (I guess that is good) then the timestamp. But, there is no indication of which file this is (VBox.log, hardening log, VBox.log.x, etc.).

The request is to append the log file type to the name, e.g., "<myVMname and timestamp> VBox_log.log". This will easily confirm which log is being saved, and it will avoid file overwrites when saving multiple log files.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: log file saved name

Post by socratis »

JustinH wrote:The request is to append the log file type to the name, e.g., "<myVMname and timestamp> VBox_log.log"
This is exactly what I get when saving a log file. Example: "Mint 19-2019-07-30-11-47-05.log", where "Mint 19" is the VM name and "2019-07-30-11-47-05" is the timestamp. Are you simply suggesting to append the "VBox_log" part?
JustinH wrote:there is no indication of which file this is (VBox.log, hardening log, VBox.log.x, etc.)
JustinH wrote:This will easily confirm which log is being saved, and it will avoid file overwrites when saving multiple log files.
Why would you care if it's the .log, log.1, log.2, or the log.3 log? They have different timestamps in any event, there's no risk of overwriting.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JustinH

Re: log file saved name

Post by JustinH »

socratis wrote:Are you simply suggesting to append the "VBox_log" part?
Yes. That is the idea.
socratis wrote:Why would you care if it's the .log, log.1, log.2, or the log.3 log? They have different timestamps in any event, there's no risk of overwriting.
This may always be true. I opened the log file dialog, selected VBox.log tab, Save, then I selected VBoxHardening.log, Save and was prompted for overwrite. (Did my single-click select get the first log file name? I can't say, but may have.) Even if this is very unlikely to happen again, I believe the enhancement would be good.

Thank you.