Simple Addition to the User Interface

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
nixuser

Simple Addition to the User Interface

Post by nixuser »

I have two user interface suggestions as follows (both I think would be very easy to do):

(1) The ability to set a custom icon/avatar for a particular VM to allow distinguishing between (for example) RHEL and CentOS distros (currently both show as a RedHat logo). The current list is very limited. The idea would be to select an icon from the internal list, or be able to specify an external png or jpg.

(2) The ability to create groups in the VM list, into which VMs could be moved, and have the groups expandable or collapsible. This would allow you to group by distro, or by use category, or whatever. It would help people like me who have a very large number of VMs, too many for the list to exist on the screen without a scroll bar. Being able to organize the VMs into a logical hierarchy would be a great advantage to people like me. There would need to be a mechanism to select the icon for the group, either an internal icon, or an external file as in (1) above.

For me this would greatly enhance VirtualBox, and probably wouldn't be too hard to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Simple Addition to the User Interface

Post by socratis »

1. You can set the custom icon for a VM already, by using the command (more details in the User Manual, ch. 8.8.1 General Settings):
    • VBoxManage modifyvm "<VM>" --iconfile <filename>
  2. You can group VMs already. Just select the VMs, right-click and select "Group". You can then move VMs in and out at will, expand and collapse. Your idea/suggestion is already here, for a long time actually... More details in the User Manual, ch. 1.10 Using VM Groups.
You should have a searchable PDF included with your installation (Help » Contents). If not, there's the on-line manual in PDF format, again searchable. Take advantage of that fact, and use it to search the PDF for the terms that interest you.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nixuser

Post by nixuser »

Thanks socratis, not quite sure how I missed the "Group" option in the right click. Would be nice if (1) could be done via the GUI though.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

nixuser wrote:Would be nice if (1) could be done via the GUI though.
That feature has got to be the least asked feature available, even in the CLI. That, along with the BIOS fade... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.