File Manager resizable columns

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
peterhull90

File Manager resizable columns

Post by peterhull90 »

Would it be possible to make the columns resizeable in the "File Manager" UI? At the moment all columns get equal width so, for me, the file name is often truncated whilst there is loads of white space for the Size and Owner columns. It is cosmetic, but it is a problem because we have folders named "Project Name - Documentation" "Project Name - Code" and so on, and I can't distinguish them because I can only see the first part of each.

Would it be worth filing a ticket for this (searched and couldn't find an existing one)?

ps. This version feels quicker than previous (Windows host) - thanks very much for all your great work.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: File Manager resizable columns

Post by socratis »

I split your post from the "Discuss the 6.0.6 release" thread, this isn't a 6.0.6-specific issue, and it's a suggestion above all... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
peterhull90

Post by peterhull90 »

Thanks Socrates, I was about to get cross because someone had deleted my post. :wink:

Still, there must be someone else who uses File Manager and has this problem...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

peterhull90 wrote:Thanks Socrates, I was about to get cross because someone had deleted my post. :wink:
It takes a *lot* to get a post deleted. I don't even delete posts usually, I move them to a special area "Quarantines and Deletions" so that the rest of the Mods know what's going on.

BTW, I hope you like the thread title... ;)
peterhull90 wrote:Still, there must be someone else who uses File Manager and has this problem...
*I* do, all the time. And for some reason, I never noticed it / never bothered me, maybe because I have a large (wide) File Manager window.

Your suggestion is definitely valid, so +1 from me. Not only that, but I'll take it a step further (if possible); Double-click on the right of the column, on the separator, to have it auto-resize to the width of the column. Like many File Managers, in several OSes do. I don't know if it's doable with Qt, I'll ask around...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Whiskeyjack
Oracle Corporation

Post by Whiskeyjack »

I share your pain :D Unfortunately to my best knowledge Qt does not make it easy to automatically resize table view column width to fit to content plus allow user resizing. Whatever I try looks sub-optimal. I will update the branchcode if/when I find a solution to works ok.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Whiskeyjack
If you need us to test any development build, you know where to knock... ;)
peterhull90

Post by peterhull90 »

I'd forgotten about this .... but on the current version 6.1.16 it works a lot better with the auto-size columns.
Thanks.