VirtualMachine.exe and VirtualMachineVM.exe

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Steve6375

VirtualMachine.exe and VirtualMachineVM.exe

Post by Steve6375 »

Instead of VirtualBox.exe complaining that it does not understand --startvm - could you just run VirtualBoxVM.exe with the inherited command line parameters?

It is inconvenient and incompatible to have two applications when previously we only needed one for VBox 5 and all previous versions.
This 'breaks' any previous scripts use with VBox and also applications such as VMUB.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualMachine.exe and VirtualMachineVM.exe

Post by mpack »

Asked and answered during the beta I believe. So no.

It's a short term problem. Fix your shortcuts, and that's the end of it.
Steve6375

Re: VirtualBox.exe and VirtualBoxVM.exe

Post by Steve6375 »

But it also means also having to re-write any launcher applications too.

Is it very difficult to do? Was there a good reason why you cannot add this functionality and restore backwards compatibility?

I suspect you will get many more similar queries from other people for many months, so if it is an easy thing to add, it would be much appreciated and save you from having to answer similar queries\requests in the future...

:wink:
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I am not a developer, so I cannot add functionality. This is a user to user discussion forum, not an Oracle support site.

I imagine that the reason it isn't done is because the devs have other calls on their time, and using it for something that will solve itself in the short term may not seem a good use of it.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Steve6375 wrote:Is it very difficult to do? Was there a good reason why you cannot add this functionality and restore backwards compatibility?
As mpack said, there was discussion about this in the beta forums including some comments from one of the team at Oracle.

I can't now find the post to link to it but the comments were along the lines that the way it was implemented previously with everything controlled by the VirtualBox.exe application was bad design and a security risk. It has been split to mitigate that risk. I also seem to recall that there weren't many people using shortcuts and so it wasn't seen as a significant or important change.

As it is an open source project, you could implement the functionality you are talking about and submit it to the mailing list as a patch. If you want it accepted you will need to justify the reason for the change and also be able to prove that it doesn't break any functionality on any supported host systems.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Hmm. If the point was to ditch excess baggage from the VirtualBox.exe program then I doubt they'll add it back because someone submits a patch. After all if the devs wanted to restore the feature they have their own proven in use source code they could restore. Frankly, I suspect that anyone who researched and submitted this patch would simply have wasted their time.