VM Boot Launcher

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Bullwinkle J Moose

VM Boot Launcher

Post by Bullwinkle J Moose »

Why Boot to Linux or Windows first ?

Boot directly into a Virtual Machine Launchpad and run whichever VM you like

Select a default VM to boot directly at power on or select a VM from the Launcher

Portable Launchpad for thumb drives!

Boot to launchpad in a few seconds without the overhead of a complete operating system

Create your VM's in your normal Operating System and simply copy them to the launchpad

Add launchpad builder for thumb drives directly into the regular Virtualbox application

What are we waiting for ?

OH, and now that most of the audio bugs are FINALLY out of the XP VM's (Directsound finally works and no more delay when starting media files with VLC), how about perfecting Graphics passthrough for NOOBS?

High performance graphics for older games in XP VM's are really all that is missing now that the Audio is pretty much fixed

If you fix the graphics, there will be no difference between the VM and a Native boot to XP except that we could finally boot directly to XP on modern hardware by using a Launchpad for VM's

GOTTA HAVE IT!
We're almost there!
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: VM Boot Launcher

Post by andyp73 »

Bullwinkle J Moose wrote:Why Boot to Linux or Windows first ?
...because VirtualBox is a type-2 hypervisor. By its very nature it needs an operating system to host it.
Bullwinkle J Moose wrote:High performance graphics for older games in XP VM's are really all that is missing now that the Audio is pretty much fixed
High performance graphics for older games in XP isn't Oracle's key market for VirtualBox. If you want to influence that then you will need to become an Oracle customer which will cost you a minimum of $6,100 (100 licenses at $61 a pop). There is some improved graphics support starting to appear in v6.0.x. It will take a while for all the wrinkles to be ironed out. Exactly what we will get is something the devs don't tell us mere mortals.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: VM Boot Launcher

Post by michaln »

andyp73 wrote:...because VirtualBox is a type-2 hypervisor. By its very nature it needs an operating system to host it.
And because a "Type-1 Hypervisor" is a unicorn. Someone still needs to manage the processors, memory, disks, networking, all that stuff. Whether it is called an OS or something else doesn't change things.