NFS shared folder driver for OSX guests

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
mcandre

NFS shared folder driver for OSX guests

Post by mcandre »

Could we get NFS shared folder drivers going for mac guests? Those of us with mac guests on mac hosts would love more efficient folder syncing!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: NFS shared folder driver for OSX guests

Post by socratis »

NFS Shared Folders? Can I ask why did you come up with NFS Shared Folders? And why does it have to be provided by VirtualBox? Can't you set it up on your guest, like you would do on any other computer(s)?

If you're looking for file sharing between an OSX host and an OSX guest, the simplest way is to enable File Sharing from the Sharing part of the System Preferences of the guest, i.e. System Preferences » Sharing » enable File Sharing » setup shares and users. And of course some networking between host and guest, like Host-Only networking. The share even shows on the host's Finder. Easy, peasy...

Corrected the title from "mac guests" to "OSX guests" because that's what you meant I believe, and moving to "Suggestions" from "OSX Hosts".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

Shared Folders is already a feature of VirtualBox. OP is simply asking for the NFS protocol to be added as a choice. SMB2 is a good from a compatibility perspective with the most popular OSs (e.g. Windows doesn't have NFS enabled by default), but is sometimes not as fast as the NFS protocol (varies by workload). It also doesn't directly support Unix-like permissions the way NFS does.

Shared Folders and Host-Only Networking have different advantages and disadvantages, which is why both exist in the first place. One is not a wholesale replacement for the other.

Worth it? Eh, that's a lot of work. Depends on who you ask I suppose. But, it's a perfectly reasonable suggestion to voice.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Galactic wrote: But, it's a perfectly reasonable suggestion to voice.
Well, maybe. Bear in mind that OS X is not an officially supported guest. It would be strange to implement a protocol which is only of benefit to an unsupported guest OS.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Galactic, not sure why you're bringing up SMB2 and NFS. The VirtualBox Shared Folders implement none of these. It's a completely different beast.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Good point!