USB-HDDs as bootable devices

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
peaceful_world

USB-HDDs as bootable devices

Post by peaceful_world »

Hi! I'm very surprised that USB-HDDs like flash disk drives and other USB-devices like CDs and DVDs are still absent as bootable devices for guest OSs in VirtualBox. Why not to add them to this list? Why I can't use my flash disks to boot and install guest OS from them?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: USB-HDDs as bootable devices

Post by socratis »

1. Because the code for USB booting isn't there.
  2. Because nobody has contributed the code to enable USB booting.
  3. Because the people that "fund" VirtualBox by buying the licenses haven't had a need for it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
peaceful_world

Post by peaceful_world »

It's very very sad. :( :( :( :(
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

And very, very true...
Unless one of the tree conditions above is met, things are going to stay as they are...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Neill_R
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 2000 Adv Server

Post by Neill_R »

Socratis,

I too would like to be able to Boot from a physical USB or a virtual USB mirroring CD/DVD functionality. Many newer PCs / Laptops / Notebooks do not have an optical drive. They do however boot from USB ports. Even Windows now deploys USB disk to boot and install Windows.

How do we get this lack of functional raised is it not something that Oracle is willing to fund? If not how much effort is required and what would it cost?

yours

Neill Rutherford
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Code can be contributed, and the Virtualbox source code is available for perusal. Cost would be the time the code contributor uses, but there would be no pay except the accolades of those who would use the contributed code (and maybe a reference on the contributor's résumé).
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I don't think it's ever going to happen. VirtualBox USB2 and USB3 support is closed source code, so there's no way I can see to let the open source BIOS use it. Like a PC from the noughties there is no USB support in the BIOS, so USB devices don't come alive until after the guest OS has booted - which obviously precludes booting from a USB device.

Happily, it's not a big deal, as there are plenty of workarounds. For example, mapping the USB device to a raw VMDK. Or copying the USB HDD image to a VDI image. Or mapping the USB drive to an ad hoc ISO drive, or copying the USB contents to a bootable CD. Or downloading the ISO version from the original website. Etc etc.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:VirtualBox USB2 and USB3 support is closed source code, so there's no way I can see to let the open source BIOS use it
But EFI is both on the open-source side, and on the USB2/3 support side. Just saying that if someone were to invest their time/energy/resources, it would be best if they were to focus on the EFI part and not the BIOS part... ;)
aeichner
Oracle Corporation

Post by aeichner »

EFI already has working USB boot support, only the legacy BIOS doesn't support it and this will very likely stay that way unless someone contributes a patch for it.