Simplifed (clarified) Guest-Additions File Structure

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
abcdefgh
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux Mint 20.3 Mate

Simplifed (clarified) Guest-Additions File Structure

Post by abcdefgh »

Instead of this:
  • /media/mark/VBox_GAs_5.2.18/32Bit
    /media/mark/VBox_GAs_5.2.18/64Bit
    /media/mark/VBox_GAs_5.2.18/cert
    /media/mark/VBox_GAs_5.2.18/OS2
    /media/mark/VBox_GAs_5.2.18/AUTORUN.INF
    /media/mark/VBox_GAs_5.2.18/autorun.sh
    /media/mark/VBox_GAs_5.2.18/runasroot.sh
    /media/mark/VBox_GAs_5.2.18/TRANS.TBL
    /media/mark/VBox_GAs_5.2.18/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
    /media/mark/VBox_GAs_5.2.18/VBoxSolarisAdditions.pkg
    /media/mark/VBox_GAs_5.2.18/VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.exe
    /media/mark/VBox_GAs_5.2.18/VBoxWindowsAdditions-x86.exe
    /media/mark/VBox_GAs_5.2.18/VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe
How about something like this:
  • /media/mark/VBox_GAs_5.2.18/(Linux_Helpers)
    /media/mark/VBox_GAs_5.2.18/(OS2_Helpers)
    /media/mark/VBox_GAs_5.2.18/(Solaris_Helpers)
    /media/mark/VBox_GAs_5.2.18/(Windows_Helpers)
    /media/mark/VBox_GAs_5.2.18/Install_Guest_Additions_for_Linux.sh
    /media/mark/VBox_GAs_5.2.18/Install_Guest_Additions_for_OS2.cmd
    /media/mark/VBox_GAs_5.2.18/Install_Guest_Additions_for_Solaris.pkg
    /media/mark/VBox_GAs_5.2.18/Install_Guest_Additions_for_Windows.exe
    /media/mark/VBox_GAs_5.2.18/TRANS.TBL
I'm actually markfilipak (which somehow became 'markfilipak2', then 'abcdefgh'). I've been here since 15 Jul 2012 but lost my name during the great shift to SSO (single sign-on) during 2017, and have not been able to recover it.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Simplifed (clarified) Guest-Additions File Structure

Post by mpack »

It might help if you explained what the problem is, and why this solves it.

Currently I only see two lists of files, with no obvious reason for why users should prefer one or the other, especially given that not many will even be aware of the contents of the GAs disk. Despite the topic title I see no difference in clarity.
abcdefgh

Post by abcdefgh »

mpack wrote:It might help if you explained what the problem is, and why this solves it.
When I update VB, I never know which file to run. The lower file list makes it clear what the user should do. Methinks that better still would be differing GAs, one for each guest OS.
... not many will even be aware of the contents of the GAs disk.
Huh? Don't you have to load the new GA after updating VB?
I'm actually markfilipak (which somehow became 'markfilipak2', then 'abcdefgh'). I've been here since 15 Jul 2012 but lost my name during the great shift to SSO (single sign-on) during 2017, and have not been able to recover it.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

abcdefgh wrote:When I update VB, I never know which file to run.
That would depend on your guest OS. But that's why there are two specific "autorun" files there, just so that your guest OS knows which one to run. Automatically in most cases.
abcdefgh wrote:The lower file list makes it clear what the user should do.
Maybe, maybe not. I definitely know which ones to run, the manual does, the guest OSes do. Plus, there's backwards compatibility to consider. If things change drastically, a lot of scripts out there will fail. Not a lot of people are going to appreciate it... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
abcdefgh

Post by abcdefgh »

socratis wrote:
abcdefgh wrote:When I update VB, I never know which file to run.
That would depend on your guest OS. But that's why there are two specific "autorun" files there, just so that your guest OS knows which one to run. Automatically in most cases.
I know it's been a long time. I was not subscribed.

My Linux guest (Mint) does not automatically run the Guest Additions script. And, when I get the notification -- from MInt? from VBox? I don't know -- following a VBox update, the instructions in the notification don't match the items in the VBox 'Devices' menu. I have to browse to '/media/mark/VBox_GAs_6.0.8' and guess which file should be run. I assumed that was usual (that is, usual given that the notification's instruction is bogus). What should I do when I update VBox and I receive that notification in the guest? If there's a better way to handle updates, I'd sure like to know what it is. Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

abcdefgh wrote:My Linux guest (Mint) does not automatically run the Guest Additions script
Most of my Linux VMs do. Some (Debian) don't allow autorun, or even running from the "CD", you have to manually copy the file somewhere else, "chmod +x VBoxLinuxAdditions.run" and then run the GAs installer manually.

But this has nothing to do with the GAs CD layout...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.