Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.

Re: Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators

Postby ChipMcK » 18. May 2018, 02:38

@ boxino

your arrogance exceeds all limits
ChipMcK
Volunteer

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Re: vdi space compact

Postby Chalky » 29. May 2018, 06:47

mpack wrote:
Bubba198 wrote:and yes I deleted all partitions just for the test... blank space; no partitions defined..

Even if you get beyond the error message, this still won't work, because you have not understood how a virtual disk works. Or even a physical disk for that matter.

A partition map is merely a data structure stored on the disk, part of the management information used by the guest OS. It has no meaning to the hardware. Do sectors on your physical hard disk stop storing data because you deleted a partition? Of course not. On the contrary, all that happens is that the partition map is overwritten with new data. The partitioned sectors remain where they are, with the same data as before.

As already mentioned above, VBoxManage compaction causes ZEROED blocks to be eliminated from the VDI (they are replaced in the block table by a code which indicates a zeroed block). Deleting a partition entry does not cause the partitions sectors to be zero filled.
God you're an arse, stop being so awful to everybody.
Chalky

Postby socratis » 29. May 2018, 07:21

@Chalky
Since you're a new user and this is your 2nd post, you're only getting a 3-day cooling off ban. Please return with a better attitude...

Response split from viewtopic.php?f=3&t=79499
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Discuss the 5.2.22 release

Postby sjointer » 6. Dec 2018, 00:18

socratis wrote: by socratis » 11. Nov 2018, 12:12
Let's put our collective thinking together, shall we?A 0-day exploit is published. Even my local channel had a report on it. Two days later a new release comes out...What could be considered as insulting, is the lack of common sense. Methinks...

This is the EXACT comment that is going to make me look at other possibilities away from VirtualBox. You're supposed to be a site moderator? Your arrogance and insults over a really simple question, that you likely didn't know the answer to, will make me think twice about using the VirtualBox for virtualization. If you didn't know, you shouldn't have replied. If you knew and couldn't say, and you found the absolute need to exercise your self-aggrandizing superiority over your position to say something, you should have explicitly said: "We can't discuss that.", the same way Michael did.

What you did, as a site moderator, is trolling. That's the type of thing you're supposed to monitor against, not actually take part in. One thing I now know for certain: If I do end up using VirtualBox, and I need any kind of assistance at all, these forums are the last place I should look. I don't need to be trolled when I'm trying to learn, and I certainly don't need to be trolled for asking a fair question. Some computer scientists don't make assumptions when they don't need to. They ask questions, get answers, and then KNOW how to proceed.
sjointer

Postby socratis » 6. Dec 2018, 01:41

@sjointer
I split your post from the Discuss the 5.2.22 release thread, because such a personalized comment doesn't belong to the 5.2.22 release thread. Feedback received.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Previous

Return to Suggestions