Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
zimbodel

Re: [Solved] Virtualbox Sudden Kernel mismatch issues.

Post by zimbodel »

Socratis,

Please just adopt a less abrasive demeanor.
It is not helpful.
People are trying to solve their problems and not interested in fights all the time.
Neither am I.
Maybe you are overly sensitive person, as in my case you read into things that doesnt even exist.
Just cool down.
People are not as bad as it is made out to be.

Lets move on.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] Virtualbox Sudden Kernel mismatch issues.

Post by socratis »

zimbodel wrote:Please just adopt a less abrasive demeanor.
I'm only responding to one, and I will continue to do so as a moderator, it's part of my role to bring back people in order.

Come with a nice attitude and you'll be met with smiles and a helpful attitude.

Come here swinging, taking a personal hit at me, at my country in general, oh yes... you're going to hear about it. After you've already gotten a warning and a 1-week ban? You're asking for it, seriously now!

And not just me, if you come up with personal attacks to anyone. See "The Forum Posting Guide" » "This is a community service":
Whilst we accept that some robust debate may be appropriate, we will not accept unnecessarily aggressive or rude behaviour. So please, no matter what your personal frustration, try to keep your comments constructive. If you cross this line then the moderators will delete your posts.
I just recently made the "The Forum Posting Guide" a Global post, it appears as a top-most thread on each and every area of the forums. I hope that people don't have to read it, they should already know what a polite behavior is. Unfortunately, sometimes they need to be reminded...

I'm going to move the non-related posts to the "Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators", no need to be here.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Bezla

Re: Copy/Paste from Win7 guest to OSX host

Post by Bezla »

Posts from "Bezla" and "socratis" were split from the thread "Copy/Paste from Win7 guest to OSX host"
Be professional a little bit, are you talking to your son? Do you know who is on the other end?

I ll make sure your reply will be sent to appropriate place. Can't believe Oracle would allow you to be admin here.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Bezla wrote:Be professional a little bit, are you talking to your son? Do you know who is on the other end?
Can you please point to me where was the "unprofessional" attitude in my reply? The highlighting, the underlying, the bolding, or the hard facts being pointed at you? Or all of the above?

If I'm giving you really specific instructions, and you choose to blatantly ignore them, forcing me to lose more of my time that I normally wouldn't? And I could be helping other users that actually do follow instructions?

I'm a volunteer here not your dedicated tech support and if you make my life difficult, because you don't wan't to follow a specific procedure, I'm going to try and set you straight for the next time and/or others that read your post. I tell you to do things? You do things. To the "t". I will not be blamed for pointing to your inability to understand a step-by-step procedure!

I'm starting to understand who's on the other end; someone that doesn't understand basic instructions, and when they're told about it, they're offended. Not at all like if you were "my son", he would definitely know better!
Bezla wrote:I ll make sure your reply will be sent to appropriate place. Can't believe Oracle would allow you to be admin here.
Are you seriously threatening me now? Just for that threat alone, you would normally get a cooling-off ban period of 2 weeks! You do not threaten other members! Period! But if I ban you, you'll think it's a vendetta, so I can't/won't, ethics doesn't allow it. But, attempt to attack any other member here, and you won't be able to flinch before you get banned for life.

BTW, I'm not an admin, I'm a moderator, a person that's supposed to keep things from derailing, a person that's supposed to tell users how to properly receive help.

And as for my (and your) reply being in the "appropriate place", I'm splitting your reply and mine, and moving them in the Suggestions » Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
granada29
Volunteer
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

Bezla wrote:Be professional a little bit, are you talking to your son? Do you know who is on the other end?

I ll make sure your reply will be sent to appropriate place. Can't believe Oracle would allow you to be admin here.
Woo - I don't think that was necessary. How about just collecting and posting the logs in the format as first asked for by @Socratis
fredblogs

Why so unhelpful

Post by fredblogs »

I tried to start mine on windows 10. Got Failed to load API DLL: WinHvPlatform.dll. Tried looking it up. Found a discussion. The discussion didnt have any useful input from Oracle just a host of moaning from people at oracle telling people they hadnt raised the issue correctly or were piggy backing and so on.
I dont CARE whether you liked the way the question was asked or even if you thought it could possibly at a stretch by a different problem (unlikely given the same description) so why not put an answer??????

Then the level of stupidity to get here is unbelievable. I do NOT need your lousy cookies on my machine. You do NOT need my phone number, my address, my company, my inside leg measurement, my eye colour etc etc etc You might have use for an email IF and only IF I want a notification when a post of mine is replied to and that should be optional.... after all I can always come back and look. The more of my information you have the more you can lose when (not if) you are hacked.

The first thing to remember in information security... if you do not have the information you cant damned well lose it!
vlad557776
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Too much to list here (100+ VMs)

Re: Why so unhelpful

Post by vlad557776 »

Yeah, completely agreeing. This forum marks beta-versions as non-supported, didn't help with Citrix Multiuser 2.0 (needed to go to dedicated OS/2 forum). Go to hell, I'm exiting this forum and going to dedicated forum for each system.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators

Post by socratis »

@fredblogs, @vlad557776
I merged your complains with the "Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators" thread, where they belong.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Hey Socratis & Mpack, How's it going?
Just wondering what this post got locked for:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94020
Not wrangling for a change, just curious...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Hey Scott,

It seems that mpack banned user 'xxxyyy' with the "Troll" characterization on 2019-07-24 17:10 UTC, and nuked two more posts, no doubt with a good reason. I was out at the time and I didn't see the posts myself, since mpack didn't move them to the "Quarantine" area but simply straight deleted them. As far as the locked thread goes, I guess he didn't want to delete that specific thread because you had already replied.

For the record, I had already locked the post in that thread from 'xxxyyy', didn't like the looks of it either... ;)
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

From memory, he created a new topic (in "Windows Hosts" perhaps), to say "Hey Socratis, lots of people want to use OS X, you dumb". IMV when someone sets out to pick a fight with a moderator in only their third post (while at the same time displaying great ignorance and astonishingly bad grammar), that somebody finds themselves outside the door of the venue.

I checked his earlier posts for similar sins. His second post was a superfluous gainsay of a helpful post, based on aforesaid near total ignorance. His first post was the only one that looked legit, except that instead of acknowledging the answer he had gone on to the time wasting posts #2 and #3. I wondered if post #1 was a ruse. I decided to leave that post, but locked the topic, and gave our miscreant the bum's rush.

Even his name seemed to me to be chosen by someone who didn't expect to need it for long: troll.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Good enough for me. Thanks for letting me know!
aymaliev

Re: ID Event 12 for VBoxNetLwf

Post by aymaliev »

Posts from "aymaliev" and "socratis" were split from the thread "ID Event 12 for VBoxNetLwf"
socratis wrote:
aymaliev wrote:it destroys all currently established network connections and I cannot reconnect for about 10 minutes after this happens.
This has absolutely nothing to do with the "Network filter driver is not set to go to sleep properly", which is what Event 12 is.
aymaliev wrote:who suggested disabling the virtualbox Host-Only network adapter. It solved the problem
Again, the HostOnly adapter is an additional adapter for the host. The VBoxNetLwf driver is part of the Bridged networking. Nothing to do with the HostOnly part.
1) It has everything to do with Event ID 12, because EVERY time my network dies, there is VBoxNetLwf in the event log.

2) Yes, disabling the Host-Only network adapter did not actually solve the problem. And, due to p. 3) below, I regret coming back to admit it in p 2).

3) Your personal denial of this problem and the way you answer to users on this thread are terrible. I have just signed up, but if there is a way to file a complaint about you, I'd do it. Denying the problem does not help in solving it and if you have nothing to say about the solution, better shut up and listen to the smart guys (like the ones that found it).
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

aymaliev wrote:It has everything to do with Event ID 12, because EVERY time my network dies, there is VBoxNetLwf in the event log.
It's the other way round I'm afraid; every time your network dies, it reloads the network related drivers and then the ID12 error is generated. Not before, after.
aymaliev wrote:Yes, disabling the Host-Only network adapter did not actually solve the problem.
Yes. Makes sense.

Contrary to the rest of your behavior....
aymaliev wrote:I have just signed up, but if there is a way to file a complaint about you, I'd do it
Complaint? For what? You already REPORTED three of my messages:
  1. aymaliev: This guy is rude. How can you appoint such a moderator?
    [color=#00AA00]socratis[/color] wrote:Nope, that can't be it. This is the "DriverStore" (cache) of already installed drivers. Touching/modifying a file there shouldn't produce a BSOD, doesn't make sense...

Also, if you're only seeing the ID Event 12 for VBoxNetLwf, again, that's a red herring.
  2. aymaliev: This guy is rude. How can you appoint such a moderator?
    [color=#00AA00]socratis[/color] wrote:te777,
    You threw in a bunch of unrelated issues in your 1st paragraph. We like to observe the "One issue, one thread" rule...

And in your 2nd paragraph, the VBoxNetLwf error on your host has absolutely nothing to do with the VBoxSVGA controller for your guest.
  3. aymaliev: This guy is rude. How can you appoint such a moderator?
    [color=#00AA00]socratis[/color] wrote:Nothing, absolutely nothing. As I've been saying all along, this is not a real problem, this is a red herring. Sure, the developers might have to adjust the driver to make it power-savings-aware, so that it won't be raising the alarm, but this is not what's causing the BSODs.

And since I "owe" this thread an example (to put my money where my mouth is), here's my Event Viewer log. I get several of these errors per day, as you can see I have 60 of them (since I installed Win10-64 on 2019-06-28) and another 55 when booting in Win7-64, and another 38 when booting in Win7-32.
I urge you to find a "rude" comment in the posts that you reported. One. Because you know what's next, right? One more of these and you're getting a ban for abusing the report system. Just because you don't like the answers, that doesn't mean you get to report them as "rude". And this is not personal. Come again with 3 reports in a row for something unrelated that hurt your feelings for *any* user, and your feeling are going to be hurt even further, but with a final resolution. Are we clear?
aymaliev wrote:better shut up and listen to the smart guys (like the ones that found it).
No comment, because if I were to comment I'd have to sensor myself...

But... tell a user in the forums, *any* user, to "shut up", and you won't be visiting the forums in the foreseeable 100 years. Are we crystal clear?
aymaliev

Post by aymaliev »

1. Since disabling the VirtualBox Bridged network driver, I have not experienced the issue any more. It may be a false positive again, but do not rely on me to return to this forum to provide you with the information.

2. Yes, I reported your rude messages, after saying I'd do it, if I found out how. Promise kept. Makes sense?

3. Obviously, this is one complaint with three examples of rude behaviour. Thank you for demonstrating that you thoroughly reviewed them. I appreciate it.

4. "You are welcome" for the feedback on how to improve.

5. You have told three people to "shut up" in the comments I reported. This was the problem to start with. So, I understand it is allowed only for the moderators. Crystal clear!