Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Aliasx
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win7, Win8, WinXP, Server 2008 R2

Re: Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators

Post by Aliasx »

Can we change the allowed time to Post URLS
i tried to add a how to with pictures
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

This has been done to stop spam and since it has eliminated all spam I doubt it will be changed.
99.9999% of the time you do not need to post off site links, and if you deem it totally necessary most users obfuscate the link to get past the restriction.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

... and when a mod sees your obfuscated link he will often de-obfuscate it, provided he sees there a valid reason for not attaching files locally.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I have a couple posts I have set to notify me if someone makes a reply. I've looked all over my User Control Panel, but for the life of me I can't find where to enter my email address to receive the replies.
I know it's sitting right in front of me - best place to hide someting from me. Could anyone please show me the spot?

Thanks!
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Your email address is tied to your user.
IIRC all that needs to be set is under the UCP -> Global setting -> Notify me on new private messages: (yes) to receive notification on topics that you have replied to or marked as subscribed to.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I had the Notfy on Private Messages off, I turned it on. The email address is the one I used in my Oracle Single Sign On, then?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I have had my login for so long I can only speculate, but yes I think it should be. If you have turned on the notify now you should get notified by my reply here.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks, Perry! I'll keep a lookout for it.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Getting my emails now. Thanks, Perry!
JustHereToHelp

Post by JustHereToHelp »

Hi there, i actually only created account to chip in, seeing as im new to Vbox and think what a brilliant piece of software you`ve created. Just thought least i could do was help with what i have learned...
Downloaded new version 4.3.6..at my friends house and installed on a windows 7 ultimate laptop, not sure of specs etc. But installed and worked perfectly...
NOW... when i got home and downloaded on to my windows 7 ultimate laptop... i have the now `famous` error....
"Failed to create the VirtualBox COM object.
The application will now terminate.
Callee RC: E_NOINTERFACE (0x80004002)

we have very similar spec laptops both Acer, as we bought them at same time....
When searching for this error, i found 100`s & 100`s of posts on this issue stemming from 4.3.6 right back to earlier releases...
I can not tell you what the error is actually caused by, and out of all these posts including many on your support and forums, i have yet to find an adequate answer, apart from 1... And i wish i could remember his/her name so i can give them the credit they deserve...
Basically.. when you install Vbox and get this error... when you right click and hit properties, you will find that in compatability tab, in box `default`(i think) it is set to WindowsXP SP3!!!
I change this to Vista SP2, and voila.... Everything worked perfectly!! Everything, No errors... or crashes....
I did change it to windows 7, but with no success... only vista sp2 seems to work....
So please, Can you make a thread or special post explaining this to people, as ive seen sooo many posts with no answers, just people guessing. And suggesting deletion of files and Keys etc.... which will do no one any favours...

Thankyou for your time.. i hope this can help you to either solve the problem or advise others as to what to do....
not good at these posts so probably wont do many, just got sick of searching through thousands of posts for no real answer....
So, like i said, hope this helps you guys, and everyone else....
Thankyou again for your magnificent software, keep up the good work....
bye...
JustHereToHelp

Post by JustHereToHelp »

Sorry to post again so soon... lol..
just wanted to add to my previous post...
right click.. hit properties.. default is not ticked at all, sorry.. even though it does say xp sp3.. in the greyed out box.. But not ticked.
But when i did load up in vista sp2 compatability.. all worked fine but was slower reacting and loading than normal but was able to perform all tasks....
but when i quit... and tried to load up again, i got another error box... not sure what it said now, sorry.
But when i ticked compatabilty run in XP SP3 mode.... It works perfectly, and is fast and loads everytime, no errors... (up to now anyway).. :) fingers crossed...
Sorry for posting prematurely earlier... But hope my input can help you to sort situation out...
Thanks again..

P.s. only just realised i could edit post :roll: sorry for posting another/seperate post.... :)
alleoma

Post by alleoma »

Can't post URLs until 1 day and 1 post, the forum said. But it's part of my technical post I wanted to start with. Well, here's the one post.
vw_mwa

Post by vw_mwa »

Hi,

Just joined the forum and need help with a VirtualBox error. I found a similar issue online, but can't post a link to it because I'm new. My suggestion would be to remove this requirement :).
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

You do not need to post links to get support. Post your issue and if an image needs to be used to explain post it here as an attachment.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

I just wanted to thank ALL the moderators for the work they do here. I used to see what I thought may be a condescending, snide or even angry reply to a poster. After seeing how often the same questions are asked, how so many posters don't bother to search the forum, or the web, or the manual, I'm surprised how polite the responses are. I don't think I would have the temperament to do what you have to do.

Thanks for what you do.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.