Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
aquarius
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP

Kudos to the forum Moderators and Volunteers

Post by aquarius »

... thank you all ...

Special kudos to rpmurray for this article!

Would'nt it be a good candidate for the first sticky post in the Mac OS X Host forum?
(Of cause it could be extended and updated from time to time - but who am I to ask for that)

aquarius
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators

Post by loukingjr »

I has just read a post where someone suggested a member update their profile to reflect which OS they use. And I noticed mine said I was running Leopard but there is no option in the drop down menu for Snow Leopard. Perhaps it could be added?
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

loukingjr wrote:And I noticed mine said I was running Leopard but there is no option in the drop down menu for Snow Leopard
We don't need that level of detail. Really all we need to know is, is it Linux / Mac / Win(NT) / Win(9x) - etc. Broad strokes. This tells us which solutions apply to questions you may ask.
dmcgraw
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
Guest OSses: XP, Ubuntu 9.10

Post by dmcgraw »

loukingjr wrote:I has just read a post where someone suggested a member update their profile to reflect which OS they use. And I noticed mine said I was running Leopard but there is no option in the drop down menu for Snow Leopard. Perhaps it could be added?
I think it might have been my post requesting that the user update their profile. In that instance, the user's host operating system was OSX, but they listed Windows 7. I was thinking of Windows 7 when I was starting to answer the question and then realized the forum was for OSX hosts.
timeless
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Linux, OpenSolaris

Post by timeless »

mpack wrote:We don't need that level of detail. Really all we need to know is, is it Linux / Mac / Win(NT) / Win(9x) - etc. Broad strokes. This tells us which solutions apply to questions you may ask.
Well, you offer "Mac OS X Leopard" and "Mac OS X other". I picked Other because 10.6 isn't 10.5. I understand that you generally don't need it, but my first experience using the system was getting a question I didn't know how to answer. That's not really a good user experience :).

If you don't need that information, then could you just remove other and drop "Leopard" from the OS X item?
de_llamaman
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: windows 7

Post by de_llamaman »

why is there a limit on how much graphics memory you can give your VM? For what I was intending to use windows for 128mb is very hindering :( :cry: :(
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Newer version of VBox have been increased the upper limit to 256MB to accommodate more monitors.
The reason for the cap is because this is not GPU memory but RAM and as such it is not going to help.
saberman
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 7, 8.1, 10

Post by saberman »

Unable to serach for USB. If I put USB in the Search box and press Search nothing is found. This is the case whether I use the general Search box on the top right of the web page, the Advanced search or, when in a forum the Search this forum option. It even fails if I open a thread titled "USB Support Missing From 3.2.4" and use the Search this topic function. But if I search for SUPPORT using the same Search this topic function it finds the occurences of the word support.

Is there a reason for this?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

The reason is that the default phpBB search sucks and we are already indexed by search engines, so we use them instead.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
mrT1
Primary OS: MS Windows 2003
Guest OSses: Win-XP SP3; plan on others

Post by mrT1 »

Hi,
I like this forum, I have found it very useful.
I wish to report that when I was entering a post and clicked on the "Submit " button I was brought to a page that said, I need to logon. OK, I put a lot of thought into my post mesage and my earlier logon timed out. So, after logging on again and selecting "go back to previous page", all that I had entered was gone! I looked at the Internet Explorer history and the tried going back and it said "web page has expired". I had put a lot of thought/time into that post message (more key-think time than words).
Next time I get ready to post, I plan to enter it in my own word processor first and save it to my system before posting.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Timeout is something that takes a while to happen. No matter though if this happens again instead of logging in again you should copy the test or go back and copy the test in need be and then login again and complete the port.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Losing the contents of text boxes etc when you click the "back" button in your browser is in any case a feature of your browser - it isn't something controlled by the VirtualBox forums. I believe the forum knows nothing about your message until your browser transmits the form contents. I find that MS Internet Explorer is especially bad at losing content like that. I don't have the same problem with Firefox: OTOH I have to hit the manual refresh button much more often with Firefox, e.g. to see a message I've just edited. Horses for courses, but I prefer the latter.

And you are correct btw: if it's a Magnum Opus that you don't care to lose, then type it up in a text editor like Notepad first (not a word processor, you can't paste rich text AFAIK). There is no need to save it, its just being used as an independant buffer until the message is posted. Saving it does no harm I suppose.
Last edited by mpack on 26. Jun 2010, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

mpack wrote:(not a word processor, you can't paste rich text AFAIK)
It doesn't matter in what you type the message, when you paste it in your browser, it will be plain text, no mark-up whatsoever. So you can go all out with mark-up, make fonts bigger, make it bold, change the font type, in the end, it will be just plain text and you need to add the mark-up in the input box using the proper tags.

And confirmed, IE has a habit of loosing text in input fields when going back and forth through browser history. It never saves it into memory like other browsers do (like FF and Opera).
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
etam
Primary OS: openSUSE
Guest OSses: win xp, various Linuxes, openSolaris

Post by etam »

For that moments you need Lazarus: Form Recovery
pgundersen
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by pgundersen »

Hi

I really want a feature that maps my virtual pc's. So i got a folder with my Ubuntu computers, a folder for Windows computer, folder for testing. This will make it cleaner, and not so messy.
Is this a possible thing to do? Someone else want this?

However thanks for a great product!!!