Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Re: Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators

Post by ChipMcK »

@ boxino

your arrogance exceeds all limits
Chalky

Re: vdi space compact

Post by Chalky »

mpack wrote:
Bubba198 wrote:and yes I deleted all partitions just for the test... blank space; no partitions defined..
Even if you get beyond the error message, this still won't work, because you have not understood how a virtual disk works. Or even a physical disk for that matter.

A partition map is merely a data structure stored on the disk, part of the management information used by the guest OS. It has no meaning to the hardware. Do sectors on your physical hard disk stop storing data because you deleted a partition? Of course not. On the contrary, all that happens is that the partition map is overwritten with new data. The partitioned sectors remain where they are, with the same data as before.

As already mentioned above, VBoxManage compaction causes ZEROED blocks to be eliminated from the VDI (they are replaced in the block table by a code which indicates a zeroed block). Deleting a partition entry does not cause the partitions sectors to be zero filled.
God you're an arse, stop being so awful to everybody.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@Chalky
Since you're a new user and this is your 2nd post, you're only getting a 3-day cooling off ban. Please return with a better attitude...

Response split from viewtopic.php?f=3&t=79499
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sjointer

Re: Discuss the 5.2.22 release

Post by sjointer »

socratis wrote: by socratis » 11. Nov 2018, 12:12
Let's put our collective thinking together, shall we?A 0-day exploit is published. Even my local channel had a report on it. Two days later a new release comes out...What could be considered as insulting, is the lack of common sense. Methinks...
This is the EXACT comment that is going to make me look at other possibilities away from VirtualBox. You're supposed to be a site moderator? Your arrogance and insults over a really simple question, that you likely didn't know the answer to, will make me think twice about using the VirtualBox for virtualization. If you didn't know, you shouldn't have replied. If you knew and couldn't say, and you found the absolute need to exercise your self-aggrandizing superiority over your position to say something, you should have explicitly said: "We can't discuss that.", the same way Michael did.

What you did, as a site moderator, is trolling. That's the type of thing you're supposed to monitor against, not actually take part in. One thing I now know for certain: If I do end up using VirtualBox, and I need any kind of assistance at all, these forums are the last place I should look. I don't need to be trolled when I'm trying to learn, and I certainly don't need to be trolled for asking a fair question. Some computer scientists don't make assumptions when they don't need to. They ask questions, get answers, and then KNOW how to proceed.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@sjointer
I split your post from the Discuss the 5.2.22 release thread, because such a personalized comment doesn't belong to the 5.2.22 release thread. Feedback received.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Crashk1d

Re: [WorksForMe] Recommended Settings for Ubuntu flavors on Windows 10

Post by Crashk1d »

socratis wrote:Marking as [WorksForMe], where "Me" is thousands and thousand, hundreds of thousands if not millions, of users...
Dude grow up. Seriously. I've watched you stink up these forums with your intolerable personality. Learn to check your real life baggage at the door kid. All your personal attacks, your bitterness, your lack of professionalism.

I spent 12 years at Sun/Oracle as a solaris kernel developer and have quite a few contacts in senior management at Oracle. I wonder if they'd like to know they have some cuck turning a product forum into a cesspool.

Grow up.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [WorksForMe] Recommended Settings for Ubuntu flavors on Windows 10

Post by socratis »

You're not for real, are you now? I offer to look at one of your logs and help you out, because apparently you can't figure out what's wrong yourself. You come back with a smart comment that you're going somewhere else? And the only thing that I did is to mark the thread as [WorksForMe] because ... it does work for me (plus millions)?

And you come back attacking me? For what exactly? Because I didn't pat you on the back on your way out? Seriously now? For real? And you're threatening me? :roll:

I couldn't care less if you were a developer with Solaris or if you have Larry Ellison on speed-dial, or even if you're Larry Ellison himself. Your attitude is inexcusable!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Last two posts (Crashk1d and mine) split from topic viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92519
Crashk1d

Post by Crashk1d »

socratis wrote:Last two posts (Crashk1d and mine) split from topic
Dude grow up. Seriously. Quit stomping around like a toddler.

I have screenshots of scores of your flippant unprofessional posts.

Would you like me to pull out the crayons and explain how you're being unprofessional? Are you that clueless? You leave troll droppings and stink all over this forum.

And back to my OP, I was looking for RECOMMENDED settings. Not quite sure you need a log to show me RECOMMENDED settings kid.

Anyways, back to enjoying my VM's on workstation. Funny thing is, I had to do the same thing on my MacBook a few months ago. Replaced virtual box with Fusion.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

If you were talking to any other member like that, you'd have been banned, no question asked. But, if *I* ban you you're going to see it as a personal vendetta in your "head". So, my hands are tied... I have a personal ethical code of conduct.
Crashk1d wrote:I have screenshots of scores of your flippant unprofessional posts.
Screenshots? Of my posts? :o

I'm honored, truly honored! I'm so glad to have a fan at last, a dedicated fan! Are you planning on making a mural out of those? Would love to see your work, seriously, never had a fan before. Maybe start a fan club?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

It's easy to criticise. I have a standard response for this kind of complaint: let's see you do better. Let's see what the tone of your posts is like after you've reponded to 2000 requests for help. So far the signal to noise ratio does not impress (3 abusive posts out of 4 total).

I don't have Socratis's code: I have no patience for trolls, so I'm happy to ban on the first offence: after all what's the downside? Maybe one month, double on every repeat. See who can keep that up longest.
BP LIS

Re: [NOT Solved!!!] Virtualbox Sudden Kernel mismatch issues.

Post by BP LIS »

Next 6 posts split from viewtopic.php?f=7&t=92557
OK, guys, NONE OF THE SUPPOSED SOLUTIONS WORKED. BUNCH OF CRAP SOFTWARE THIS ORACLE SHIT!
I am fed up with wasting my time on a program that was screwed up completely now. DOES NOT WORK ON UBUNTU 16.04.
I am going to install Windows on a separate machine now and that's it.
NEVER AGAIN "VIRTUAL BOX"! BS!
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Virtualbox Sudden Kernel mismatch issues.

Post by socratis »

@BP LIS
"Translating" your inability to follow clear instructions to "swearing mode", is _a_ way to go about it.
Having the rest of us listen to your incoherent ramblings though is not my idea of fun...
Why don't you take a week "cooling off" time out and think about it, heh?
BP LIS

Re: [NOT Solved] Virtualbox Sudden Kernel mismatch issues.

Post by BP LIS »

Mr Socratis, I notice from all your posts that you are a particular haughty and rather "caustic" poster from ... Greece, I suppose? I am from Portugal, the other end of Europe, by the way. Here we use a different tone of voice. In any case, I have every bloody right to swear and get upset with this software nonsense from Oracle, because it used to work and now it does not, I cannot get to my Windows programmes and work files anymore since 1 month, and here I only get technical "goobledegook", cryptic commands and stuff, that lead to nowhere.
End of conversation.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Virtualbox Sudden Kernel mismatch issues.

Post by socratis »

BP LIS wrote:I notice from all your posts that you are a particular haughty and rather "caustic" poster
Not all of them, only the ones that their authors are itching for a "fight". We're volunteers helping other users, not a psychiatric couch. If you want to yell, go outside and scream. If on the other hand you come up with a laid out case of why it fails, we're here to try to replicate it and help you fix it if possible, or you guide you how to file a proper bug report.
BP LIS wrote:from ... Greece, I suppose?
You don't have to suppose or guess, it's on the right side of each of my posts, my "profile".
BP LIS wrote:In any case, I have every bloody right to swear and get upset with this software nonsense from Oracle
Not here you don't! We don't have to listen to your anger outburst, only well documented problems. We too have high blood pressure, no need to raise it more unnecessarily...
BP LIS wrote:because it used to work and now it does not
You were told you multiple times what happened; you updated the Ubuntu to a problematic/newer kernel, 4.4.0-145-generic. That kernel requires the test builds. You were told to try it, and you came back swinging! :roll: