Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
birdie
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, other Unixes

Win98 won't install: Shell32 / Shlwadi.dll fatal error

Post by birdie »

This is a horrible way to reply to the OP. The topic contains a ton of data, replies, etc. - it's easy to get lost and more importantly, the crucial essential information is not in the first post.

To the OP:

Please install this patch https://github.com/JHRobotics/patcher9x
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators

Post by scottgus1 »

birdie wrote:This is a horrible way to reply to the OP.
Editorial content on moderator posts goes here, not in the individual topics.

Feel free to post only the Patcher suggestion on the other topic.

I didn't post a more detailed or specific response because I don't know the specifics about the fix. All I could do was post the tutorial link in the hopes something in it might help.
birdie
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, other Unixes

Post by birdie »

scottgus1 wrote:
birdie wrote:This is a horrible way to reply to the OP.
Editorial content on moderator posts goes here, not in the individual topics.

Feel free to post only the Patcher suggestion on the other topic.

I didn't post a more detailed or specific response because I don't know the specifics about the fix. All I could do was post the tutorial link in the hopes something in it might help.
The patcher (patcher9x) is still not mentioned in the the first message of the topic despite multiple people nowadays fighting with the TLB invalidation bug with Win9x guests on newer CPUs including Zen 2/3/4 and Intel ICL/RKL/ADL/RPL.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Maybe if you ask nicely? It's a good skill to have.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Even then - nope. The tutorial is about making Win98 compatible with VirtualBox. It's not about making Win98 compatible with Ryzen and other newish processors. I'd suggest that the latter is a topic for a Win98 hobbyist website. We have mentioned the issue in the tutorial, and to my mind that is plenty acknowledgement. The first post does not and should not attempt to cover every detail that will be discussed.
Edward22

Snapshot fail to restore

Post by Edward22 »

mpack wrote:@Edward22: if you are going to quote another participant, please trim the quote to just the relevant part. A verbatim quote simply duplicates another post, and wastes space and time. If you don't want to quote another participant then use "Post Reply" instead of the "Quote" button.
What are you talking about. My previous post was meant for 'ftho' only, hence why I quote his post to be reply for. That 'ftho' post did not mention anyone else, it wasn't long either, and lastly, who's time did it waste, yours. So, I do not know why you got notified, edit out 79 words from 2 short paragraphs, and bother to post a reply for a warning. Quoting someone's also show what they previously said, should they decide to edit or delete it.

Are you going to edit out this 47 words quote here as well. If you are, well sorry for wasting your space & time in MY post.

Do you have a better alternative to notify some users that I'd reply back to them in a trend?
mpack
Site Moderator

Re: Snapshot fail to restore

Post by mpack »

@Edward22: My request to you was polite and self explanatory. Your response was not. If that continues then I will ban you: I have zero tolerance for online trolls.

There is no need to quote an entire previous post (especially not the immediately preceding post) simply to indicate who your reply is aimed at. That aspect is normally self evident, but when in doubt you can do what I did in the first word of this post. Please heed my request.
Edward22

Post by Edward22 »

mpack wrote:@Edward22: My request to you was polite and self explanatory. Your response was not. If that continues then I will ban you: I have zero tolerance for online trolls.
Sure, I'll listen, but not because you are asking politely. You are threatening me with an "immediate ban", not a freeze, or delete my post, or a warning. Immediate BAN. All because about an "approved" length of words in a quote. Not a spam, or piracy links, etc.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Edward22 wrote:All because about an "approved" length of words in a quote.
Anyone can still read the thread above and see that does not describe the situation at all (*). The ban was threatened in response to your abusive post, not because you don't know what the quote button is for. A ban could also happen if you refuse to follow moderator guidance, though typically that would not be permanent.

(*) I took the precaution of locking your posts so the evidence will remain.
Edward22

Post by Edward22 »

mpack wrote: Anyone can still read the thread above and see that does not describe the situation at all (*).
A ban could also happen if you refuse to follow moderator guidance, though typically that would not be permanent.
Yes, anyone can see you were going to ban me, even without my "abusive" post, if I decide to keep quoting and not edit out "irrelevant" sentences here or my future posts/trends. Though I doubt this is new to you.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Certainly yes, failure to follow the instructions of moderators could result in a ban. In fact I already said so, I also said that it was typically not permanent: this was right in the section of my post that you quoted, so I'm not sure what part of this you think might be new to me. Frankly you are not making a lot of sense. The source of your ire is not clear to me either.
piggyz

Discuss the VirtualBox 7.0.8 release here

Post by piggyz »

scottgus1 wrote: 24. May 2023, 13:52 If you're running Virtualbox 7.0.8, then it's probably the 7.0.8 Guest Additions bug for XP.
The rude Mpack can close any thread he want, delete any message, then it doesn't change the facts: 7.0.8 and some of the new test builds (it's one month I do not try any guest additions test builds anymore so I can't say for new tests build then considering they don't realize anything related with this issue, make me suspect there is not such a big step up about this problem) are deeply bugged for any Windows OS. In Windows 11 they even cause reboots, then 7.0.6 still works on any Windows kind of OS so it is the way to go.

For me is not a big problem (rarely I do need Windows guests) then I'm still suprised how and why Guest Additions Project Manager (if one figure of this kind exist in Oracle) and a supervisor of the whole released builds, can accept to release something so buggy and let it up for like 2 months. What a new serious user approaching virtualbox can think about this software if they start with a windows guest and they see it crash for it's additions?

It is disappointed even becouse Virtualbox improved a lot in the last 4 or 5 years. Before it was just a joke compared to VMware and now it can quietly stand if not side by side, quietly near, then sometimes they, masochisticly (if this word exist!) they do some big steps back issuing such software type of crap like the 7.0.8 windows guest additions.

Not just my two cents, the truth.
Last edited by scottgus1 on 3. Jun 2023, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: struck through personal attack part to show what is the problem.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Re: Discuss the VirtualBox 7.0.8 release here

Post by scottgus1 »

Piggyz, I moved your post above to "Discuss 7.0.8", since it would be more on topic here.

Also issuing an official board warning to you: Personal attacks are not allowed and are a basis for punitive action. I'll let you decide how you wish to respond re the personal attack in your post above. The Edit button is still available, for now.
piggyz

Re: Discuss the VirtualBox 7.0.8 release here

Post by piggyz »

You want me to post an off topic, don’t you scottsguy? I have nothing more to say related with the post above and I don’t need any edit or reply button, thank you.

That’s it. Nothing more and nothing less.

And BTW I don’t think to move the post is more appropriate and a good idea. 7.0.8 is buggy mostly just related with windows guest 3d graphics.

For the rest it mostly works.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Piggyz is permanently banned for personal attacks and failing to profit by an opportunity to withdraw the comment. Piggyz' record over the course of posting on the forum has descended to offensive, personal attacks many times. At least two temporary bans given for this offensive behavior have not been profited by to change the offensive behavior. We want calm constructive discussion, even robust disagreement, but not personal attacks.

I have struck through the portion of Piggyz' post that I believe was the personal attack, so that all may see what is not allowed on that front, and what calm disagreement and concern/complaint is acceptable.