Low-level clipboard feature via key commands

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Arcus92

Low-level clipboard feature via key commands

Post by Arcus92 »

I was playing around with a lot of CentOS test systems lately and i noticed that the installer and the system doesn't support the shared clipboard feature.

While i was typing the endless repourl i had an idea : There should be a low-level clipboard feature that just sends the key commands of the host clipboard text to the guest system. Just like some evil keyboard usb dongles.

And yes. This will only work for simple text content and you could just switch to a ssh console after the installation but it would still improve the installation workflow for some terminal-only systems and setups or even some ancient windows versions. For simple english text without umlauts this should work for all guests. Maybe we could add an option to setup the guests keyboard mapping but it should match the hosts keyboard mapping in 99,99% of all cases.

The button fits perfectly in the Input->Keyboard menu and there should be a nice shortcut to access the feature (e.g. [host]+v).

I hope you liked that idea too.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: Low-level clipboard feature via key commands

Post by michaln »

As soon as someone writes the reams of code required to do this, it's going to be there.

For anyone who thinks this is trivial, here's a suggestion: Try doing it. You will quickly see how wrong you were.

You can also play around with VBoxManage controlvm subcommands keyboardputscancode, keyboardputstring, and keyboardputfile.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Low-level clipboard feature via key commands

Post by socratis »

As mpack mentioned, this feature has been implemented with 5.2.0. See a small how-to in a post of mine in the thread "Input -> Keyboard -> Paste as text (send characters)". You should actually read the whole thread. In fact, I considered temporarily merging your thread with that one...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.