Search in forums broken?

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
ddbug

Search in forums broken?

Post by ddbug »

I'm trying to search the forums using the normal web interface, the search widget at the upper right corner.
Looking for just "USB" - and got "Search found 0 matches", not finding even this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88156

:cry:

-- dd
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: Search in forums broken?

Post by Martin »

In most forums the internal search function doesn't work for words with less than four characterss to keep the search index database at a manageable size.
A workaround is to use an external search engine like Google and specify the site "USB site:forums.virtualbox.org".
ddbug

Search in the forums does not work

Post by ddbug »

The search widget on the right to the NEW TOPIC button is on Italian strike? :cry:

For example, I go to the Windows hosts forum and search for "USB". Zero results.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: Search in the forums does not work

Post by Martin »

You cannot search words shorter than four characters using the forum search function.
A workaround would be using Google or another search engine and specify the forum as site like 'USB site:forums.virtualbox.org'
balalrumy

Post by balalrumy »

I really dont know why search in this forum is not showing proper result. whatever i am searching its showing me blank screen.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@balalrumy
Because the "search engine" within the phpBB setup is not made by a big search firm? Try the big ones, I've said long time ago that this "Search" button should disappear...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Yliliner

Post by Yliliner »

When searching the forum, I can not find anything. What reason? I know for sure that the information I seek is on the forum.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

You may wish to read the posts above yours to see the problem with the forum search and a solution. Clue: see Martin's post for a solution.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I can see we're just going to have endless repetition of the same question, with nobody ever bothering to read the previous replies. Locking this.

Please note that this is the VirtualBox user forums, not the phpBB user forums. Please take complaints and feature requests for phpBB to the phpBB forums!

And to summarize the above discussion: forget the phpBB search function, instead search using Google e.g. "<search terms> site:forums.virtualbox.org".