Description of current VM state in VMs snapshots view..

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Digitall

Description of current VM state in VMs snapshots view..

Post by Digitall »

Hi, thanks for a great piece of software! I have a suggestion that may improve it a little bit..

It would be nice to have a possibility to add a notes and description of current VM state in Snapshots view in VirtualBox Manager not only for the states that are already taken but also for the current machine state (missing properties). The purpose of that is to have a live log of current configuration etc without needing to keep it elsewhere. This may be useful especially when you are using different guest OS configurations for testings etc. This functionality would be even better when there will be a possibility to use a keyboard shortcut to pull the 'current machine state' properties view as a non-modal dialog for user interaction.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Description of current VM state in VMs snapshots view..

Post by socratis »

I took a look at the Description of the current VM state in the Snapshots view, and I was surprised (to say the least), that this is disabled, non editable! That's a serious omission in my mind as well.

The description of the Current State should *not* be the same as the Description in the VM settings. The generic description is Snapshot independent. The Current State Description should be kept as a "taking notes" (sort of) area. And if you take a Snapshot, that description is carried over to the snapshot and continues to the Current State.

As you figured out, I completely, wholeheartedly, 100% agree with you! Let's see what the devs think about it...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Digitall

Post by Digitall »

Hey, do you think it is worth to report this behavior as a BUG? In my opinion it is a bug, at least the situation which doesn't allow to save / describe current machine state without taking the snapshot..
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

As a bug? No.
As an enhancement? Yes.
If you do open a new ticket, please let us know what the ticket number is, so that I can link the thread to the ticket.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.