Plans for Linux kernel 4.16 support?

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
heitkergm

Plans for Linux kernel 4.16 support?

Post by heitkergm »

Hello,

I have a virtual machine with Fedora 28 beta, which is based on kernel 4.16.

Kernel 4.16 includes all the virtualbox kernel modules, EXCEPT vboxsf (shared files).

So, immediately after installation, FC 28 handles automagic keyboard focus in/out (based on the mouse), and window resizes.

But shared folders don't work. And I can't compile the existing guest additions to get shared files working (compilation fails).

I read somewhere that future kernels will include the vboxsf kernel module.

How will the virtualbox guest additions handle this situation? Will it override the fedora-supplied kernel modules (and provide vboxsf)? Or will it just provide the shared files functionality, as the rest of the guest additions functionality is already there?

Let us know...
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Plans for Linux kernel 4.16 support?

Post by mpack »

The devs don't often reveal their timelines to us users.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

heitkergm wrote:Fedora 28 beta
Too soon for complete support. That "beta" will need to become "release" before you expect full support. I'm not going to say it's not going to happen sooner, I'm stating what your expectations should be.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
heitkergm

Post by heitkergm »

I kind of knew that this topic might not have an immediate answer.

But I am intrigued by the fact that the virtualbox kernel modules are being integrated into mainline Linux. I'm sure we'll know more later. Was just hoping for a peek into the crystal ball...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Well, the crystal ball is here. And it has been addressed, quicker than I thought actually ;)

See ticket #17678: Guest Additions won't build in Fedora 28 (Kernel 4.16.1) -> fixed after (not in) 5.2.10. That "not in 5.2.10" means that if you download the latest test build, the fix should be there. And if not on this one (currently r122245), then most certainly in the next revision. They have a maximum update time of 2 weeks, but usually they're updated after a couple of days.

So, check out the current test build, and if the fix is not there, keep on checking for updates. Just leave a tab open in your browser... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
heitkergm

Post by heitkergm »

I had success with guest additions 122245, on fc28 beta1. I had to use dnf to remove the installed "virtualbox-guest-additions" package - and then I could build the guest additions without complaint. And they work, including the shared folders.

FYI, the guest additions from my previously favorite test build, 122202, failed to compile on FC28 beta1 (kernel 4.16.3-301). I now need to try 122245 on RHEL 7.5 to make sure that still works...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

heitkergm wrote: I now need to try 122245 on RHEL 7.5 to make sure that still works...
It should... #17676: VBox Linux Additions wont compile on Red Hat 7.5 -> fixed after (not in) 5.2.10. Ticket status was updated at the same time as the previous one...