VM link "Pin to" Taskbar icon

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
schrotti12

VM link "Pin to" Taskbar icon

Post by schrotti12 »

Hi,
I think it would be a great feature to pin VM links, created with "Create Shortcut on Desktop" in VirtualBox, to a pinned VirtualBox-Icon in the taskbar on Windows 10. The usage is the same than on the desktop link.
Thanks and good bye.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VM link "Pin to" Taskbar icon

Post by mpack »

? This already works on Win10 hosts. Just right click the desktop shortcut and choose "Pin to taskbar" (rock the casbah) or "Pin to start menu".
schrotti12

Post by schrotti12 »

I can pin every single machine as one icon to the taskbar. But what I suggest is a icon to VirtualBox and the machines as "Pinned items" to that one icon. Like with pinned pages in Firefox or pinned tracks for VLC. I can't pull a link to the VM and drop it into the VirtualBox Icon in the taskbar.
I made a mockup what I am talking about: https://schrotti12.lima-city.de/img/vbmock.png
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The mockup you made is of something called a jump list. People have been requesting support for that since Win7 introduced jump lists in 2009. Still waiting!

A possible problem is that VirtualBox is a portable app based on Qt, not a Windows specific app. OTOH this is a very Windows specific feature. The feature probably needs to be something supported by Qt, and I don't know if that's the case or not.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

mpack wrote:The feature probably needs to be something supported by Qt, and I don't know if that's the case or not.
It would need to use the Qt Windows Extras (QtWin) class and would become a chunk of functionality that would only be included in the Windows build.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
schrotti12

Post by schrotti12 »

Yeah, JumpList, that was the word I was looking for. Probably if I searched for that, I would have found something. Sorry, my fault.
Okay, then again using menus.