[Resolved] OSX: Change Cmd-R short-cut mapping

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Nap

[Resolved] OSX: Change Cmd-R short-cut mapping

Post by Nap »

Command-R on OSX has a number of uses, including refreshing the current page when using the FireFox browser.
Would it be possible to change the mapping of Command-R in VirtualBox (ie RESET VM) to something else? A key sequence that is less likely to be already defined in the OS or pressed by accident?
Last edited by Nap on 4. Jan 2018, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: OSX: Change Cmd-R short-cut mapping

Post by socratis »

I honestly don't understand what "Refresh page" in Firefox has to do with "Reset VM" in VirtualBox. If you can't really tell which application has the focus, it's not the application's mistake, it's a PEBKAC. I've done it multiple times, especially when I'm working with 2 or 3 monitors, and just by tilting my head, I was thinking that "somehow" the computer would know that I was looking on a different monitor and that I didn't really mean to quit the application that I actually did... :shock:

But there's no need for that, you can change the shortcut yourself to whatever you want. VirtualBox Preferences » Input. You could for example change the HostKey as well...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Nap

Re: OSX: Change Cmd-R short-cut mapping

Post by Nap »

Ok, thanks. Didn't realise "Input" allowed key mappings.
Well, "Host+R" is what I was referring to. It appears that these short-cuts only allow the HOST key along with ONE other key. Would be nice if I could use multiple modifier keys, something like OPTION+HOST+CTRL+SHIFT+R, to make it really unlikely that I would use it by mistake.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Resolved] OSX: Change Cmd-R short-cut mapping

Post by socratis »

The shortcuts are defined as a single "Key" plus the "HostKey". The "HostKey" however can be a combination of keys, like LeftCmd+RightShift. Give it a shot... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.