Add a way to get VM's IP address through the API without guest additions (#17324)

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Add a way to get VM's IP address through the API without guest additions (#17324)

Post by socratis »

MartinDachev wrote:Can you give some more information about it?
No. You know as much as I do.
MartinDachev wrote:Maybe the DHCP Servers have different implementations for the other networks?
I don't know, haven't looked at the source code in that much detail.
MartinDachev wrote:Also, I wonder why they were stored but now are removed.
Me too.
MartinDachev wrote:And what do you think, should I create a new ticket (feature request) about them?
No. There are enough tickets already, no need for a duplicate. Did you read the 1st line of the 1st message of this thread? The one in red?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MartinDachev

Re: Add a way to get VM's IP address through the API without guest additions (#17324)

Post by MartinDachev »

Of course. But it was closed and I was told that there is absolutely no way to get the IP. In the ticket, I said mainly in Bridged Mode, but that doesn't mean only in it. After some discussion you told me about the NAT Network leases, with which I saw some light in the tunnel. Which shows that there is a way to get IP without Guest Additions, even though it is only in NAT Network. And even more, it turned out that for Internal and HostOnly, there were .leases files in previous versions! That's really good information that I got after lots of digging and asking. I think it would have been better if we started with this, instead of reading "IP is not hardware, virtualbox doesn't know anything, there is no way, period" from the other people. Maybe they thought I wanted a way to get IP without GA only in Bridged Mode...
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

MartinDachev wrote:it turned out that for Internal and HostOnly, there were .leases files in previous versions!
As I've said previously:
socratis wrote:There has been a mention or two about re-working the whole DHCP server in VirtualBox, so that may become available again.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.