Can guest machine in operation prevent host machine from entering dormancy state?

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Dark.iaji

Can guest machine in operation prevent host machine from entering dormancy state?

Post by Dark.iaji »

Normally, when I'm working on guest machine, my host machine will go into hibernation for a while, and my work will stop.
I have to turn off the automatic sleep of host machine now, so it costs electricity :(
guest OS:kali linux 2017.2
host OS:Windows 10
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can guest machine in operation prevent host machine from entering dormancy state?

Post by socratis »

1. You want the host to stay awake.
2. If your host stays awake, your electricity bill goes up.

So, what exactly do you want? To have the guest awake without the host?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Dark.iaji

Re: Can guest machine in operation prevent host machine from entering dormancy state?

Post by Dark.iaji »

1. I want guest to work in time to stop Host Sleep
2. Guest is sleeping or hang and allows the host to sleep
The current version of VM seems to be even in the work will be accompanied by host sleep
So my compiler will stop :(
Last edited by socratis on 2. Nov 2017, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm afraid I still don't understand what you want to do. It seems that English might not be your native language, so could you 1) Use DeepL (https://www.deepl.com/translator), or 2) use Google Translate (https://translate.google.com/), or 2) use your native language.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I assume the OP wants the guest to keep the host awake. I'm not sure that VirtualBox has any control over what the host does in that area. Clearly the host OS believes that the system is idle. Detecting activity should be an automatic host feature.

There is mention of host power management in the user manual, but it seems to be exclusively about handling host OS behaviour, not overriding it.
Dark.iaji

Post by Dark.iaji »

Yes
In order to allow compilation to continue
To this end I had to turn off the host's automatic hibernation

Win32 API
Enables an application to inform the system that it is in use, thereby preventing the system from entering sleep or turning off the display while the application is running.
Last edited by socratis on 2. Nov 2017, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Dark.iaji
I still can't understand what you want. Do you want VirtualBox to prevent your host from hibernating when there is a VM running or when VirtualBox is running? As opposed to you setting the hibernation off yourself manually?

There are a lot of people that want the exact opposite; if the host goes to hibernation, the host *must* be able to hibernate no matter what's running. You see the dilemma, right?
Dark.iaji

Post by Dark.iaji »

Yes, I want the VM runtime host not to sleep.
Perhaps VirtualBox should provide an option, which can be useful.
Last edited by socratis on 5. Nov 2017, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I think I'm beginning to understand...
You want VirtualBox to change your host's settings, while VirtualBox is running to prevent sleep.
You want VirtualBox to change your host's settings, while VirtualBox is not running to allow sleep.

Is that correct?
Dark.iaji

Post by Dark.iaji »

socratis wrote:I think I'm beginning to understand...
You want VirtualBox to change your host's settings, while VirtualBox is running to prevent sleep.
You want VirtualBox to change your host's settings, while VirtualBox is not running to allow sleep.

Is that correct?
yes
Eigen22

Post by Eigen22 »

Dark.iaji wrote:Normally, when I'm working on guest machine, my host machine will go into hibernation for a while, and my work will stop.
I have to turn off the automatic sleep of host machine now, so it costs electricity :(
guest OS:kali linux 2017.2
host OS:Windows 10
i had similar issues with Mac OS.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Eigen22
What exactly is your setup? This was a Windows-hosts question, so could you explain?