Windows 10S Installation

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
vinu batra
Primary OS: MS Windows 8.1
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: lunix

Windows 10S Installation

Post by vinu batra »

I have Used virtual box for installing Windows 10s preview version.It didnt worked properly. Would Virtual box add support to 10S full version ? as 10s is going to release after diwali or for this new year for sure. Virtualbox should support latest versions of windows
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Re: Windows 10S Installation

Post by erdeslawe »

What "didn't work properly"? You need to be specific about what doesn't work.

Also Windows 10 S is only currently available (in a registered form) as a pre-installed operating system on Microsoft's Surface Laptop range, so why would it be necessary to install it directly as a Virtual Machine in preference to a full Windows 10 installation, when it far less capable? i.e. It can only install/run Windows 10 apps that are available from the Windows Store and will not install any desktop apps.

Edit: This article: https://betanews.com/2017/08/01/how-to- ... dows-10-s/ (if it is accurate) suggests Windows 10 S can be installed using VirtualBox, but the 10 S installer has protection built in that has to be able to verify the a pre-existing 'qualifying Windows installation' to proceed; and that pre-existing system will, of course, be erased when 10 S is installed.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

One little detail that's not mentioned in the linked article is that the Guest Additions (GAs) will not be able to get installed on Win10S, because they don't come from the store.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

vinu batra wrote:I have Used virtual box for installing Windows 10s preview version. ... Virtualbox should support latest versions of windows
Even if we accept these assertions, do you see no problem with them?

A preview version is a beta. VirtualBox never supports betas. VirtualBox support, if it comes at all, comes after an OS exists, not before.

And in the case of Windows 10S, I'm not sure that support will happen anyway. If I was the Oracle devs I wouldn't want to jump through hoops to get the GAs in the Windows Store every time they get updated.