Add UEFI PXE boot possbility

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.

Add UEFI PXE boot possbility

Postby DMSM » 21. Aug 2017, 15:28

Hello, colleagues!

what do you think about to add PXE boot possbility in EFI mode?

I think it will be very usefull.
DMSM

Re: Add UEFI PXE boot possbility

Postby scottgus1 » 21. Aug 2017, 16:02

Could be useful. How long it would take to implement might not be useful. :wink:

Oracle's development on free Virtualbox comes from developments on Oracle's pay-for virtualization system which is derived from Virtualbox. The license to begin getting developer support on Oracle's pay-for virtualization product starts at $1220 for the "Socket" version (whatever that means) or $6100 (that's $61 per license, 100 license minimum, for the multi-seat license). The developers have said they have their hands over-full handling Oracle's customers' development needs, so enhancements suggested by free users may not be be high on the list unless the enhancements coincide with rich paying customers' needs, or unless the developers see it on the Bugtracker and fall head-over-heels in love with it. That said, users can contribute code, and free Virtualbox is open-source, so someone could figure out how to implement what they'd like Virtualbox to have and submit a code suggestion.
running version 5.1.6 & 5.0.24
Human government is like that crazy uncle who hides a quarter in his fist behind his back, then asks you to guess which fist the quarter is in...
No matter which side you choose, Left or Right, both Sides are empty.
scottgus1

Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP SBS2003 Win7

Postby CDress » 11. Oct 2017, 20:48

It works on Oracle VM Manager 3.4.

I just moved one of my UEFI VM desktops to the OVM server and it boots to network just fine. I will open a ticket and keep you updated.
CDress

Postby rohan verma » 12. Oct 2017, 16:20

Same quiry I am unable to find proper solution :(
rohan verma

Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: linux

Postby socratis » 12. Oct 2017, 16:26

You can't find a solution because the solution is not implemented yet. It's not there.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Postby michaln » 13. Oct 2017, 08:58

We'd like to hear more about the business case for investing effort into implementing and supporting this feature...
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Postby Rusty_Almighty » 27. Oct 2017, 04:17

Well. I can understand why maybe this might not be a common use case. After all, if a user want's multiple deployments of a machine, a machine can be cloned. Since users can clone VM's and then migrate the VM's between machines, this leaves very little to be desired when using or setting up a network boot option.

However, it doesn't sound like it would be difficult to accomplish, by a relative standard, and it's implementation would solve a great many 1-off use cases like any of the following:
1. Trouble shooting PXE installs
2. People who want to utilize an already existing pxe server for installation
3. Virtual machines which have no associated hard disk. (Some banks and governments do this for added security and insulation against a cyber attack; each person that logs in gets a fresh VM and then the vm is destroyed when the user logs out. However, you don't want anything stored on the host machine either, because it doesn't even have a hard disk... There's only a single iscsi High Availability SAN for the entire site running off a set of 10 NVME drives and all of the machines use it to boot a ramdisk live image to serve up virtual machines to handle webrequests) Which leads to the next bullet point...
4. Booting a virtual machine off of an iscsi target. (Used extensively to migrate VM's between machines in extremely rapid fashion in the event of failures.)
5. Feature parity to real hardware which is what most people look for in a virtual machine. (This may not be a direct ROI, but it does draw more people to the product like students, professors, enthusiasts, and even professionals who haven't yet made up their mind about which direction they should take their business.... )
Rusty_Almighty

Postby michaln » 2. Nov 2017, 11:40

Rusty_Almighty wrote:However, it doesn't sound like it would be difficult to accomplish, by a relative standard

Everything is always easy to accomplish when you're not the one doing the work :)

4. Booting a virtual machine off of an iscsi target.

That can be done in a completely different way, by presenting a standard disk to the VM but handing the iSCSI communication on the host. That's something VirtualBox has been able to do for many years. Doing iSCSI in the VM itself can only be slower.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Return to Suggestions