Missing Feature: Screenshot of virtual machine

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Tails

Missing Feature: Screenshot of virtual machine

Post by Tails »

Hello, I am trying VirtualBox and it looks very good. It's nicer and faster (on my PC) than VMware server.

But I really miss one simple feature: Screenshot of virtual machine.
Because I sometimes need to create several screenshots of some operating system for Screenshots-Archive (link is in my profile), I'll be very happy to see this feature implemented, because then I can easily migrate to VirtualBox.

Could be this feature implemented in VirtualBox? I should be small but useful improvement. :D
th_bone

Post by th_bone »

I vote for this feature, too.
djgera

Post by djgera »

I am very interested in this feature. Maybe for example for example a HOSTKEY+printscreen, the save screenshot with a pattern like screencap0000.png screencap0001.png etc.
ariel

Re: Missing Feature: Screenshot of virtual machine

Post by ariel »

+1
MarkCranness
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2008 R2; Ubuntu 11.04; Windows 2000 Server; Windows XP

Post by MarkCranness »

I give you: Host (press & release), Alt+PrintScreen!
Use it wisely.

Edit: OK, when the guest OS is not Windows, or the Guest Additions have not been installed, then there might be a black border (Fullscreen) or the VirtualBox window frame and menu and status bar with tools (when not Fullscreen) around the screenshot of the guest OS if those are visible...

If the guest OS is Windows, and the Guest Additions have been installed, and the guest has captured the keyboard, and the VM is setup with Settings>General>Advanced>Shared Clipboard: 'Bidirectional' or 'Guest to host', then:
  • PrintScreen will screenshot the entire guest OS display to the shared clipboard on the host
  • Alt+PrintScreen will screenshot the guest OS active window to the shared clipboard on the host
For all guest OSs, if the guest has captured the keyboard, then:
  • Host (press & release), Alt+PrintScreen will screenshot the entire guest OS display, with border or VirtualBox window frame if those are visible
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Wish opened.

[feature-request] GUI: Please add option to take VM screenshot. Wish #5561

-Technologov
johnsonua

Post by johnsonua »

Alt-Printscreen does not work when your keyboard is lacking a PrintScreen key, as on a Mac kb...